frkn frgn damn abs bullsh*t

frgnfstbrd

I just want to run my car into a telephone pole.. and maybe my car wants me to do the same cause for some damn reason, this is the second time my abs has stopped working in 2 months.. AHHHHH.. Honesly.. I feel better now.. lol.. :rolleyes:

Anyways.. autozone tested my relay.. kind of.. he hooked up a 9v battery and started touching connectors till he heard a click then said.. "this relay is good" and thats it. said something about 30 and 90??? :confused:

Anyhow, tomorrow I'll test the relay and see if it really is bad. Anyhow, thinkin of converting to conventional brakes.. anyone done this? I'm sure it's a common swap cause no one wants to pay to keep 400 bucks to make the abs work on a car you can buy for a 1000..

If I go with conventional, do I have to change rotors/calipers as well or can I just change the master cylinder?

I haven't tested the abs motor, it's dark and raining out.. (seattle sucks) .. And what really sucks is I just sold basically everything for the abs system on an SC this last week.. So now I have to go shop for these dang part!!!! :(

well, this is more of a rant then a question post.. just thought I'd let ya all know that my SC's brakes suck, so if you see me behind you, I'd switch lanes.. lol.. on a serious note though, my father was the one driving my car when the abs went.. He hit the brakes to stop for a toll booth, and the brakes went.. He said he almost didn't come to a stop for the booth.. Luckily it was too early in the morning for traffic or this would be a very different post.. later guys-

Doug

Your relay is fine.....

Sounds like the accumulator or pump motor is going bad....

Do a search on ABS and you should find quite a bit of info on trouble-shooting these ABS systems along with doing the swap to conventional brakes....

yeah I know. I'm just kicking myself cause I just sold my whole accumulator and motor with the reservior and everything.. :( and I know I'm gonna have to replace something and prob. cost more then I just sold the part for. oh well. :D

abs

take out the acc ball and jump the motor, this will show you that that the motor is working and fluid is pumping at least...

yeah.. I'm gonna figure out what the issue is here today. I looked at the results of the conventional brake swap.. alot of guys are not happy with them.. I'm just gonna stick to my abs.. but I'm still not happy that it about it.. SO far it breaks more then anything else on the car.

i have been watching this post, and now too i have an abs lamp on when I press the brake pedal, then when I release it the lamp goes off...

~~~...

so some are not happy with conventional brakes and some are.

what are the resons they are not happy

1. cruise control disabled????
or just the install itself.

it seems very straight forward to just get rid of that 1990's "look what I can do" brake system.

There is no issue with the cruise control after the swap.
Mine was because I hit the cut off switch and knocked it out of adjustment when I did the swap. SWS crawled under the dash and in about 5 seconds adjusted it and it works like a champ again.

The ONLY issue with the swap was changing out the push rod bolt.
That was easy enough though... just measured how far the rod stuck out of the booster, then when I put in the new bolt I just screwed it in until it matched that measurement... FIRST TIME WORKED! Did not have to take it off and agjust like others! Just like body work or wood work... preparation is key, measure twice and cut once(screw it in to length).

As for like or dislike... They are NORMAL brakes just no ABS.
For those that do not like the "feel" I think they did not adjust the pushrod correctly or did not bleed it fully!

Do the swap and never look back!

SI Electonics carries the accumulator balls for our teves systems, I ordered a ball from them last year for $120

I posted their number some time ago, can't seem to find it now though im sure if you search you'll find it, the company is up north somewhere

Usually the typical things that fail on the ABS system are as followed in order they fail

1. Accumulator
2. ABS Pump Relay (Usually goes when one has no clue that #1 has Failed)
3. ABS Pump Motor (Usually goes when one Has no clue that #1 has Failed for a LONG time)

If the ABS and Brake light even flickers even the slightest.. replace the accumulator and all should be good..

yeah i'll back that up too, don't hesitate on the ball, even if you question it change it out, the balls are cheap enough and its worth so much more since rebuilding the pump is not fun, good luck finding a drop in replacement

yup thats where I am at.

hey any idea if the pontiac 6000 unit used the same ball?

my gm parts department says they have one for cheap.. ha ha

yup thats where I am at.

hey any idea if the pontiac 6000 unit used the same ball?

my gm parts department says they have one for cheap.. ha ha

It might work....

The capacity it a little bit smaller than the one on the SCs, but I don't think it will hurt the system.....

how cheap is the pontiac ball from GM ?

maybe an alternative later down the line when SIA Electronics decides to stop carrying them like everything else for our cars

Alot of ABS systems have the accumulator ball.. Now if the Thread size and pitch the same? along with Thread type (NPT, Inverted Flare, AN/JIC, ect.. ) and Capacity ?

With our system, that's electric assist, the accumulator is use for normal braking not just for ABS braking.. where as other systems can have the accumulator just for ABS braking, so it doesn't need the capacity (OR reserve) as our system, so it may be smaller.

If the smaller accumulator is used you may not have the Reserve to be able to allow the ABS to function correct if the need arises.

Back