EEC Calibration Families

Burnout Bob

I have a 1994 Super Coupe with the 4R70W auto transmission and EGR.

I am planning to do the M5R2 5 speed swap and one of the obstacles I'm facing is the EEC tune. The stock EEC is the W4D2 (auto tranny) calibration. My dad (Allan) has a spare EEC tuner chip and the software from Shift Master.

From the research I've been doing, I believe the EEC calibration that i am looking for is the T4J1(5 speed) calibration in the W4D2 family.

I was wondering how/where/from who can I get the stock T4J1 files to calibrate the T4J1 tune onto my W4D2 EEC.

Thank you in advance,

-Allan V

I have a 1994 Super Coupe with the 4R70W auto transmission and EGR.

I am planning to do the M5R2 5 speed swap and one of the obstacles I'm facing is the EEC tune. The stock EEC is the W4D2 (auto tranny) calibration. My dad (Allan) has a spare EEC tuner chip and the software from Shift Master.

From the research I've been doing, I believe the EEC calibration that i am looking for is the T4J1(5 speed) calibration in the W4D2 family.

I was wondering how/where/from who can I get the stock T4J1 files to calibrate the T4J1 tune onto my W4D2 EEC.

Thank you in advance,

-Allan V

I don't believe that the Shiftmaster software is going to give you the access you need to change the parameters. There really isn't any calibration necessary to run a 5spd, all you really have to do is turn off the auto trans settings but I think you'll need more advanced software to do that.

PS. W4D2 is not the family, it's CZAWO, of which W4D2 and T4J1 are both members.

I have an attachment for the EEC tuner software and on the last page is talks about the families, and thus far I have not been able to find contradicting information.

Is it possible if you can explain the families and the calibrations for the '94 SC with an auto and the 5 speed please? And the threads which I found that asked about using a different EEC after a 5 speed swap said that the performance would suffer until the correct 5 speed EEC was installed. Can you also explain what would happen if I kept the stock automatic tranny EEC in? What other options should I look into?

Thank you,
-Allan V

Attachments

• userguide_v2.08.pdf
    116.7 KB · Views: 261
That was an interesting read, I haven't looked at that "reference manual" since maybe 2001. There are a number of errors and lots of omissions in that one. CZAW0 is the Ford designation for the family to which the 94/5 SC EEC's belong. Anyone who says anything else is merely speculating or making things up for themselves. I have the Ford documentation so this really isn't up for discussion. It's also not really relevant to what you are doing, rather more a point of interest if anything.

89-90 SC - GURE
Early 91 SC - GSALC
91-93 SC - GSALI
94-95 SC - CZAW0

Anyway, the internet is full of incorrect information and it continues to be perpetuated by well meaning people. At least you have found the correct source for SC related information. That being said, there are a few things I can say about the swap.

I have done the swap more than once so I am speaking from experience. You do not have to run the 5spd EEC but you do need to tell the EEC to turn off the auto functions. This will require more modern software than Shiftmaster, and while the EEC Tuner may perform once job more up-to-date software is installed (Binary Editor), I would still recommend just getting a chip as the reliability factor of a chip is + 100% or more. I don't think anyone around here is still trying to use the EEC Tuner anymore. Or it may be cheaper and easier to source a 5spd EEC if you are leaving the engine stock and don't want to do any tuning. Anyway, those are your options in that regard.

As for the calibration end of it, there are a few minor differences in the auto but they will not hamper performance. Mostly they have to do with dashpot settings and idle control strategy, none of which will be particularly bothersome (if even noticeable). Remember, the engine made the same power either way stock, so it's not like there are two different performance levels. As long as the EEC knows not to look for transmission feedback, everything will be fine.

Ok well that makes alot more sense than the bits and pieces I have been able to find. Eventually, I would like to get a chip but funds are low. I do have the Binary Editor Software, but I am confused as to what hardware I would have to use. I saw some people mentioning something called quarterhorse or something, yet my searches were not every informative.
-Allan V

Last edited:
You have 2 choices with Binary Editor, the Moates chip which requires the Jaybird and the F3 chip. The other alternative that I highly recommend even if you are not really interested in learning to tune is the Moates QuarterHorse.

Fraser

I would love to learn how to tune. I love programing and then after a few modifications I will buy the Moates QuarterHorse.

I'm doing an engine swap during my spring break (last week of March) and if funds permit, I would do the tranny swap at the same time. If I can not do the tranny swap then, I would do it the first week of summer vacation (second week of May). Then sometime after, I will save up for the Moates QuarterHorse.

Thanks to all!

-Allan V

Back