Cheapest Flow Thru Mufflers?

ricardoa1

I am looking for the cheapest IN 2.5" and OUT 2.5" that is flow thru.

Before I miss any. I am making a list.

Hooker- Maximum Flow
Magnaflow-Flow Thru
Borla-Pro XS

Any others?

buck for buck you want Dynomax mufflers, I've had them on all of my cars and they flow the best and retain the best sound control (I don't like my cars to be excessively loud)

so yeah, 2.5 2.5 out/in dynomax is the way to go. Say no to chokebastards! (Flowmasters)

in UTI at hot rod u we flow tested mufflers and the cherry bomb plain glass pack was about the worst (when installed with luvers facing flow)

the best we tested was hooker aeromax.

dynomax ultraflow was third I believe.

the demonstration was to show that a straight through muffler wasnt the best flow..

there is also "flowtech" the flowmaster knock offs. they are dirt cheap.

in UTI at hot rod u we flow tested mufflers and the cherry bomb plain glass pack was about the worst (when installed with luvers facing flow)

the best we tested was hooker aeromax.

dynomax ultraflow was third I believe.

the demonstration was to show that a straight through muffler wasnt the best flow..

there is also "flowtech" the flowmaster knock offs. they are dirt cheap.

Interested in hearing more on this AeroChamber muffler. Looks like an interesting design.

520-21501.jpg

Keep them comming, I got to make a decision soon. Id like to keep the mufflers under $50 each but looks like most flow thru are in the 65-70 range.

Honestly, I'd stick with the Borla Pro XS. Quite a few people on here have them, including me. (I believe DLF is one of them.) and they are very nice mufflers. And IMO, they also don't like complete crap like a few others I'm seeing on the list.

-Corey

Honestly, I'd stick with the Borla Pro XS. Quite a few people on here have them, including me. (I believe DLF is one of them.) and they are very nice mufflers. And IMO, they also don't like complete crap like a few others I'm seeing on the list.

-Corey

I have the Borla Pro XS on my blue SC and i like them but I dont want to spend $90 each on them. I put it up there to weight in my options.

I was considering the Thrust muffler 17650 a chambered muffler like the flowmaster. At $32 bux each. But not sure how well they flow. I rather have these then Flowmasters or Anything flow tech.

thrush.jpg

PYPES Race Pro Mufflers are also flow thru in the $60each range.

958-mvr16s.jpg

On muscle car TV they show you how to make your own. Next to nothing;):D

Just spend the money and get what works best

Ken

On my research I found this independent test. And some other info. V8 cars but similar applies.

All tests via an independent lab
All tests @ 15” wc

2 ½ “ Straight Pipe 521 CFM

2 ½” Cherry Bomb 294 CFM

2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Dynomax Super Turbo 278 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Ultraflow Bullet 512 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Gibson Superflow 267 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Flowmaster ( 2 Chamber) 249 CFM
2 ½” Inlet Outlet Flowmaster ( 3 Chamber) 229 CFM
2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet Thrush CVX 260 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Maremount Cherry Bomb 298 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Hooker Aero Chamber 324 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Hooker Max Flow 521 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Borla Turbo 373 CFM
2 1/2" Inlet/Outlet Magnaflow 284 CFM

On another independent test they tested another car. Not sure how accurate it can be as it is a dyno and I am not sure how heatsoaked the car can get.

The results in HP order:
1.Flowtech Warlock (open) 374.2 hp/ 333.1 tq
2.Bassani Real Street 373.7 hp/ 333.8 tq
3.Hooker Maxflow 373.5 hp/ 333 tq
4.Borla XS 373.3 hp/ 332.6 tq
5.Magnaflow 372.8 / 332.5 tq
6.MAC 372.3 hp / 331.5 tq
7.Flowtech Afterburner 372.3 hp/ 330.1 tq
8.Hooker Aerochamber 372.1 hp/ 330.4 tq
9.Bassani 372 hp/ 333.5 tq
10.Spintech 371.6 hp/ 332.2 tq
11.Edelbrock Performer RPM 370.9 hp / 331.3 tq
12.Borla XR1 370 hp/ 334 tq
13.Flowtech Terminator 369.5 hp / 331.3 tq
14.Dynomax Ultra Flo 369.4 / 333.2 tq
15.Flowmaster 369.4 hp / 331.8 tq
16.Flowtech Warlock 366.3 hp / 325.3 tq
17.No muffs 365.2 hp / 330.1 tq

Sound testing.

1.Borla XS, 80db at idle, 90db at 2,000 rpm, 110db at WOT.
2.Hooker Maxflow, 80db at idle, 90db at 2,000 rpm, 120db at WOT.
3.Magnaflow, 82db at idle, 91 at 2,000 rpm, 114db at WOT.
4.Flowmaster, 82db at idle, 93 at 2,000 rpm, 115db at WOT.
5.Flowtech Warlock, 83db at idle, 92 at 2,000 rpm, 112db at WOT.
6.Dynomax UltraFlo, 83db at idle, 94 at 2,000 rpm, 113db at WOT.
7.Borla XR1, 83db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, 118db at WOT.
8.Bassani Street, 83db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, 120db at WOT.
9.Edelbrock RPM, 84db at idle, 93db at 2,000 rpm, 118db at WOT.
10.Bassani Real Street, 84db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, MAX. (120+db).
11.Flowtech Afterburner, 86db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 115db at WOT.
12.Flowtech Terminator, 86db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 119db at WOT.
13.Hooker Aerochamber, 87db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 114db at WOT.
14.SpinTech, 87db at idle, 97db at 2,000 rpm, 116db at WOT.
15.MAC, 87db at idle, 98db at 2,000 rpm, 119db at WOT.
16.No Muffler, 91db at idle, 103db at 2,000 rpm, MAX. (120+db).

Summit bullit mufflers are cheap enough. Just like the dynomax bullits that I have on my black car which Miller now has. They are straight through and cheap

-Corey

Yup, I have the Borla Pro XS, and they're ok, but I don't like the way the case looks after a couple of years. I used MagnaFlows on my LSC and if I ever build another SC exhaust, I'll be using those.

Yup, I have the Borla Pro XS, and they're ok, but I don't like the way the case looks after a couple of years. I used MagnaFlows on my LSC and if I ever build another SC exhaust, I'll be using those.

To each his own I suppose. I had Flowmasters on my '94 and ended up replacing them with Magnaflow. Hated them, so I went with Borla's and love the way they sound.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean about the way the case looks after a couple of years?

-Corey

If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean about the way the case looks after a couple of years?

-Corey

It looks like the case is 409 stainless instead of 304, and they look a bit rusty/tarnished, particularily around the welds at the case ends.

Attachments

• scex5.JPG
    scex5.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 947
  • scex6.JPG
    scex6.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 957
It looks like the case is 409 stainless instead of 304, and they look a bit rusty/tarnished, particularily around the welds at the case ends.

I see what you mean. Heck, I had read (don't recall where at the moment.) that the Pro XS were 304SS. Maybe I misread it though. I do know, mine don't look like that, but then again, I never drove mine in the winter, and RARELY drove it in the rain.

-Corey

Since my car is on the lift at the moment....

I checked and a magnet doesn't stick to the mufflers, which usually indicates 304.

But, there's definitely some corrosion going on, and I don't know why.

FWIW, These have been on my car about 4 years.

Attachments

• HPIM1139.JPG
    HPIM1139.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 171
Since my car is on the lift at the moment....

I checked and a magnet doesn't stick to the mufflers, which usually indicates 304.

But, there's definitely some corrosion going on, and I don't know why.

FWIW, These have been on my car about 4 years.

I see what you mean. Honestly though, if you don't mind I'd like to use your pictures and see if I can get any information from Borla regarding it. I really would prefer if mine didn't rust. :p

Also, Ricardoa, you may want to take this into consideration since I'm pretty sure these are going on your DD and you live up in the NE.

-Corey

I have had the Flowmaster (2 and 3 chamber), the Borla, and the Flowtech Warlock. My vote is the later of the three. But they are loud....if we are talking quality and looks, not price, Magnaflow....

Ill avoid wet roads when there is salt on the ground. But I am sure wet days will catch me once or twice.

I am looking for cheap that works well. Not cheap that falls apart. There are so many options, quite a few fall in the $60-$70 range that are good, but would like to lower that expense. Im ok with aluminized as long as the insides hold up to daily use. Seems that the fiber material will start to burn off after a while on the packed ones. Thats why I am ok with putting some chambered ones like Thrust for consistency, but not sure that they flow very well.

The pipes are aluminized and the resonator will be the Magnaflow 11386 Dual in Dual out X flow, That is also aluminized with a stainless gut. Ill be using Cats too. So I think any muffler I pick will be quiet enough due to the Cats and Resonator being used. So the mufflers are just to help it quiet it further.

Back