ABS accumulator balls... where to get one

90turbo1

so I am believing that I am in need of an accumulator ball on my system.

but.... I cannot locate one for sale.

any ideas.

rock auto... no
napa.... no
ebay... not at this time.

anyway where do you pick them up at. or can I even get one now

Before you start throwing money at it you may want to research the forums a bit. There are a lot of threads on the antilock woes here. I have a complete system with a new accumulator ball sitting in my garage. The new ball didn't fix mine.

BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE. The Accumulator I purchased from them last February was NOT the same as the Ford OEM part. The ball itself is physically smaller only about 7/8 as large as the OEM part and the nipple was too long and had to be spaced with a washer. The O-ring failed. Before it finally let loose I was having problem with (new)pressure switch not wanting to re-charge ball. It only lasted about 90 days. I replaced with Ford oem replacement and has been good now with absolutely no problems. I think the size of the ball itself relates to how much pressure it will hold and thus to the feedback to the pressure switch. I think the ball SIA makes and which looks just like the one on the Spinning wheels link is actually for TURBO coupes. Note how they say it's also compatible with several other makes which doesn't jive with what I know about SUPERCoupe ABS. SURE I know Ford wants top dollar BUT they always work in my UNMODIFIED car.
In fairness SIA's service attitude was good but all I would have received in warranty was another ball. I let it slide.

hmmm, I put the SIA ball in my red 90 5spd last year and haven't had any problems with it although I don't drive that car much

I also just put a new SIA ball in my 91 titanium auto just yesterday!
I hope I don't have any issues with it that would suck.

what is this nipple you talk about? I unscrewed my original ball and screwed the new ball on no prob??? Did I miss something?

nipple length

The nipple is the part that screws into your actuator, there's two lengths. I think the smaller size of the SIA unit might have affected its ability to hold pressure as 91xr7 pointed out on the thread "Frg'n ABS..."
The car's a daily driver, about 40 miles with only light braking duty, and just over 100K on the clock.

Last edited:
Before you start throwing money at it you may want to research the forums a bit. There are a lot of threads on the antilock woes here. I have a complete system with a new accumulator ball sitting in my garage. The new ball didn't fix mine.

yup did research and my symptoms are in line with the accumulator ball.

the gm one looks different as I suspect the sia one does i didnt get to see if it screws in or not its wrapped in plastic and if I open it I will buy it.

the gm guy told me 68 bucks (employee discount and such)

dang that would have been a steal if it works.

The thread pitch on all the Tevees units I've worked on have been the same....

There are some differences in the accumulator balls....

The biggest is that the balls for the SCs have a slightly larger capacity than the others....

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111664

The GM style does have a longer nipple on it and also doesn't have the orifice reducer that some of the other models have.....

Does this make any difference.....:confused:

I don't know, but I have about a dozen accumulators waiting to be tested.....

As soon as I get one of my parts cars running I'll have a platform to test them...:D

Still have the ball? If so, you willing to sell it???

Back