Supercoupe WIKI page?

sinhumane

i have plenty of time to dedicate to gathering FAQ's, howtos, specifications, etc, and compile them all (or most) into a relevant wikipedia page.

if anyone has any contributions, it would be greatly appreciated. with george's permission, i'd like to place the homepage FAQ's on a site.

so anyone with reference pictures, links to info, etc... please dont hold out! :D

also, could this be stickied?

The Ford MN12 platform (Mid-size North America Project #12) was a two-door car platform formerly used by the Ford Motor Company from 1989 to 1997 for the Ford Thunderbird and Mercury Cougar.

A variant of this platform, known as the FN10, was used for the Lincoln Mark VIII from 1993 to 1998. Each car based on this platform had a front-engine, rear-wheel drive layout with an independent rear suspension.

MN12 cars had a 113" wheelbase and were available with a 3.8L V6 engine, a 3.8L V6 supercharged engine from 1989 to 1995, a 5.0L V8 engine from 1989 to 1993, and a 4.6L V8 engine from 1994-1997

More or less MN-12, but still. :p

-Corey

thanks. added that to an intro page along with working on more info.

can anyone verify the compression ratios 89-93, and 94-95 for me, also bore diameter and stroke?

also would like pulley diameter of late and early model superchargers to add as info.

dave, decipha, frit.. i'd like to collaborate with you guys to get a tuning faq set up.

if anyone has done and documented a headgasket change, could you share the info with me?

also would like reference pictures for a blower swap, injector swap, ECU removal and replacement, and other general maintenance.

a 5.0L V8 engine from 1989 to 1993

... you meant 1991 to 1993. ;)

On the WIKI page you could also highlight some unique SC's .. like the SWB, AWD, Arizona HighwayPatrol, etc ..

- Dan

Last edited:
Also, if anyone is interested in writing a page or two, pm me and i will give you the address, along with the username and password to log in and edit/contribute.

would like to have enough to post it publicly by the end of the month.
;)

91 and 92 5.0 tbirds had forged cranks and pistons

the 93 got hyper-eutectic pistons and the same cam as the 93 cobra

I'd be down for a tuning write up... give me some time to compile one.

i was thinking of you tom specifically when i mentioned headgaskets. i recall you had one written up, correct?

does anyone have any issues with me using the bolt pattern swap faq located on the homepage?

Why would you take valuable information that is part of the SCCOA website and plagiarize it in to a Wikki page supported by a few random members? I think it is a terrible idea. What we have here is much better than a Wikki page.

There is NO reason why the Wiki cannot be incorporated into the SCCoA. It would be perfect to replace the FAQ section in the members forum.

I agree with Dave's thoughts. Anybody using google should be able to find the SCCoA. And it may not be plagiarism, but it would become 2 separate locations that would need to be maintained, which is always more challenging that maintaining a single location.

Dave, honestly, is it plagiarism with permission from the owners and a reference to the original?

Ya, I used "plagiarism" in a broad and technically incorrect manner. I was trying to differentiate between creating a new tool for the benefit of owners vs. taking information from one site and pasting it into another, approved or otherwise.

If SCCOA were interested in a Wikki page I would support the idea, but I am not in support of an off-site technical page for SC's. The information is here already. I agree that it can be hard to find at times but when someone has trouble finding something, there are always live people around here anxious to help out.

So why write a book when the writter is still alive? ;)

Documenting the attributes of the car is a great Idea. Wikipedia has become a known source for information although some can be incorrect but most of the info is dead on.

When I get the itch to look up a different car I look in wikipedia, not in forums. Forums are great when you become serious about it and need the cold hard facts. I am sure some other on lookers can do the same when want to venture to our world and just need a little education but not the whole book.
;)

the faq section of this site is maintained how often? my aim was to make a public site that could be linked here, and maintained by more than just a few individuals... like i said previously, i will provide the info to those who wish to edit and contribute.

with as much as you have done for the sc community, i would like to ask for your aid, and be able to add some of the extremely valuable and informative posts you have made.

You could always volunteer to maintain the faq sections.

From my experiences with a wiki, there is subject matter that will not fit there because its format does not lend itself to giving information in a productive way. One area it fails at miserably is situations where one methodology that is pointed out will only fit about 2% of the whole of the subject it is trying to cover... and tuning falls in that category big time. I've come across this so many times in my limited experience to know now that no 2 cars are the same, and I'm sure Dave can attest to that.

I have read hundreds of manuals, documents, faqs and wiki's that try to teach people how to tune, and I have not yet seen one that succeeds at this in an over all way. Sure, between them all they give you an idea of what you should strive for, but none of them are specific to just that one vehicle... your own car.

Any of us can throw a document up saying change that and change this etc etc, and people will follow it blindly.... and end up with a car that doesn't run, and then the arguments start with comments like "Its works on my car, so it will work on yours if you weren't so stupid" type stuff. I can list several items to change initially just to get things started, and I haven't even got near the car yet which can change all of those settings just to get the thing to start.... so how can information like that be put in a wiki?

Finally, what about the cases where something that was posted on the wiki is wrong? Who will correct it and moderate it? We all know if someone posts a mistake up and someone corrects them on it, then the person that offers the correction is shot all to heck because the guys buddies jump all over him no matter how wrong he is, so the wiki will end up with the wrong stuff in it and it'll never get corrected.

I agree a wiki is nice and would be a nice feature for the site as a faq section, but there is certain topics that will not fit in a wiki and should be kept in a live breathing forum instead where people can work their own solution with help from others who are in the know.

This is going to open a huge can of worms as far as I'm concerned.

Fraser

Back