Aluminum Driveshaft-

hytorksc

Someone already asked on this post what the gains would be with this mod. No one answered. I'd like to know myself if anyone knows.

Can anyone explain in detail? Surely someone here has done this already. Do you get more low end or high end torque or does it increase power thru the rpm range getting to the wheels? Any losses? Can you feel the difference?

thanks-

not directly related but..

From what I remember I believe others have seen slight reductions in low end torque when they switched to lighter aluminum flywheels, but the engine revved up quicker. I also think they gained more horsepower. Perhaps the results would be at least remotely similar to the drive shaft.. both are reducing rotational mass, just at different points.

Last edited:
In a nutshell, since you are spinning less wieght, more power is transfered to the rear wheels. I believe they are also less prone to high speed vibrations. Probally not one of the first mods you would want to do. Your money can be spent in better places first. I would like to get one though.

Thomas

Aluminum driveshafts have less MASS for the same strength of steel driveshafts. Because they have less MASS they:

Are less likely to vibrate at high rotational speeds because they stress the u-joints less.
Require less engine POWER to turn, thus reducing parasitic loads on the engine.

These are not dramatic changes by any means. But if you are planning extended high speed trips with your car, or are looking for that last half a tenth in the 1/4, it can be a good investment.

Back