PDA

View Full Version : carnage.

scxr7
02-18-2010, 08:23 PM
I made 3 passes down the 1/4 mile last night here at pbir in south FL. 1st pass. I/C piping issues. piping blew off at 5k rpm in 1st gear, coasted down the track 19.1 @ 55mph. got a set of vice grips and flared the Sh-- out of the ends of every pipe. It was a ~~~~ to get the pipes back together but it worked.

2nd pass the engined stumbled and bogged at the launch and also fell on its face in 4th gear. 2.3 60' and managed a 14.21 @ 94mph

long intermission**

it was a little after 10pm before I got my 3rd run in. I was on a cold motor, spun the tires just to get the water off, shallow staged, powerbraking til around 1500rpm. got a good launch, a lot of wheel hop though.

60' - 2.136
330-5.939
1/8 - 9.000 @ 80.86mph
1000 - 11.667
1/4 - 13.976 @ 94.15mph

This was done on that 'safe' tune that I kept talking about about a month ago. 250-260hp and 340tq.

well right before the 1/4 mile mark, maybe 100ft before the 1/4 the motor grenaded. It was a different sound than the motors I blew before. everything was going great, I was at the top of 3rd gear, a little below 5krpm and my A:F was at 12.7 the whole run. Outta nowhere the motor popped. usually the motors I've blown kinda die down or get sluggish before they pop. Pulled over as fast as I could and got out since the blown motor started a fire, but there was no serious damage. I helped the track guys clean up since it was my fault. while cleaning I followed the trail of oil and pieces of engine block/oil pan/rods and pistons. lol. I got a bucket full of metal off the ground. I found an intact piston with piston pin, but no rod. never found that rod.. :confused: maybe its still in the oil pan. anyways, I'm going to pull the motor out of my s/c rebuild it, and slap it in the cougar. hopefully it will hold up better than the n/a motors have. I've got pictures, I've gotta re-format them since my computer doesn't recognize the file types. I'll post back eventually.

fturner
02-19-2010, 10:22 AM
You call that a safe tune with an afr of 12.7 :cool:?

Fraser

007_SuperCoupe
02-19-2010, 10:46 AM
For anyone not familiar, I suggest some reading to bring everyone up to speed. scxr7 conveniently left out some information in THIS thread. See below for the history.

Some history for this thread is here... (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110432)

All I have to say is this: what did you expect, scxr7? You're running an n/a 3.8 with the SC setup. And then combine that with an afr of 12.7... you're asking for this to happen. I can't say that I'm the only one who told you so, because the above linked thread proves it.

There was a reason for designed a different block and internals for the SC engine. Anyone else who may be contemplating this, let this be a lesson!

kenewagner
02-19-2010, 10:53 AM
In you previous thread you said you had a 11.0 AFR on your safe tune. Why are you saying now 12.7:confused: Your idea of building an engine is unique to say the least:rolleyes:

Ken

scxr7
02-19-2010, 11:25 AM
I HAD 10.0-11.0 AFR with that "safe" tune. but that was before I fixed my intercooler piping issues. I'm guessing that when the car was tuned, it was tuned with the boost leaks. since I fixed those leaks I made a few more psi. which I'm linking the leaner AFR to.

scxr7
02-19-2010, 11:36 AM
well. I'm not too sure how long the s/c bottom end will last compared to the n/a bottom ends. I mean, I like to push the hell out of my motors. Would forged rods and pistons be any better than stock with what I do to them? seems like even with 400whp guys are blowing motors with forged rods and pistons on v6power. I'm contemplating on 2 things. put the s/c bottom end in my cougar, or rebuild the s/c motor with forged pistons and rods and THEN put it in the cougar..

Surgin
02-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Why not spend the money on a built 4.2?

Justin

kenewagner
02-19-2010, 11:57 AM
well. I'm not too sure how long the s/c bottom end will last compared to the n/a bottom ends. I mean, I like to push the hell out of my motors. Would forged rods and pistons be any better than stock with what I do to them? seems like even with 400whp guys are blowing motors with forged rods and pistons on v6power. I'm contemplating on 2 things. put the s/c bottom end in my cougar, or rebuild the s/c motor with forged pistons and rods and THEN put it in the cougar..

What 400rwhp guys are blowing motors? Here on the sccoa I dont know of any with good internals blowing the motor.

Ken

fturner
02-19-2010, 11:58 AM
There alot of folks around here making 300+ rwhp on stock sc bottom ends, and there has been several cases of folks going over 450 with stock and the motor held together.

Its also not just the rotating assemble, the block itself has been strenghtened.

With proper tuning and controlling of detonation the sc stock internals will take ALOT.... definately more than the N/A stuff. Also, you just proved what ignoring stuff that would cause detonation will do to a motor... any motor, not just the SC's. If I had seen AFR starting to creep into the 12's my foot would be off the gas in a heart beat. If you had done that you may still have a motor to run.

There's alot of guys out there pushing their SC motors alot harder than you do and have no issues.

Fraser

007_SuperCoupe
02-19-2010, 12:04 PM

SC bottom ends are more than just "forged rods and pistons." In fact, the pistons aren't even forged (stock). The guys over on v6power may or may not be running SC bottom ends. A SC bottom end is still far different from an n/a bottom end with forged rods and pistons. The other issue could be tuning. Who knows what type of tune they are running. It's possible to blow up the stoutest of engines if the tune is that off. I know plenty of 375+ rwhp guys here who aren't having issues around here.

All-in-all it sounds like you don't mind the regular engine swaps that you have needed to perform. You can either listen to the advise and counsel you receive from this site or not. For the most part, people here won't intentionally point you in the wrong direction, and if you actually listen to the counsel you receive, you may not have a need to perform another engine transplant (other than what you are facing right now).

I have to admit though that it is pretty entertaining when you reject the advice that you've been given and you fail. The only thing better than your story would have been video to see you helping clean up the track...

scxr7
02-19-2010, 01:37 PM
My dad was taking pictures all night. he caught some good pics, but the ONLY pic that he didn't take which I wish he would have taken would have been a picture of the time display boards as I passed by them. it would have been a picture perfect moment. showing a 13.9 @ 94 while my car is directly underneath it blowing the motor. but, anyways other than that. I'll mull my plans over for the s/c motor. I've got plenty of time to do that. I ran myself flat broke trying to get the cougar done.

David Neibert
02-19-2010, 06:22 PM

Forged pistons and H beam rods will hold up to a lot more abuse than a stock SC rotating assembly, but you can still seriously damage or blow the motor if something is wrong with the tune or you have a problem with fuel delivery, or overheating or drop a valve or several other things.

I didn't actually blow my last motor, but I did seriously damage it (torched heads, burnt MLS gaskets, damaged pistons, bent valves, ect..ect...) Rather than repair it I decided to get a new motor built.

David

PS: Mine also broke on the track after shifting into 3rd...coasted to an 11.7

scxr7
02-21-2010, 03:05 AM
coasting to an 11 second pass is impressive for tbird...a v6 nonetheless. I WILL be there one day. but for now I'm still pretty much in the 'noob' stage. After I get some experience under my belt and all the usual, I'll continue to strive for a 12 second all out pass. as with everyone else in the world, money is the main road block in my path. making 11.25/hr doesn't allow me to upgrade my cougar often. I do what I can afford. I can afford to replace stock engines, but saving up 3k to build an engine properly is almost impossible for someone like me. lol. If I ever have over 1k In my acct I get the itch to spend it. probably a bad habbit huh. :rolleyes: Thats why I keep screwing around with stock engines. I'm actually also considering the idea of selling all of my s/c stuff to buy a lexus sc300. inline 6 FTW. 2jz with a 2mm headgasket + turbo = 500whp.

kenewagner
02-21-2010, 11:13 AM
coasting to an 11 second pass is impressive for tbird...a v6 nonetheless. I WILL be there one day. but for now I'm still pretty much in the 'noob' stage. After I get some experience under my belt and all the usual, I'll continue to strive for a 12 second all out pass. as with everyone else in the world, money is the main road block in my path. making 11.25/hr doesn't allow me to upgrade my cougar often. I do what I can afford. I can afford to replace stock engines, but saving up 3k to build an engine properly is almost impossible for someone like me. lol. If I ever have over 1k In my acct I get the itch to spend it. probably a bad habbit huh. :rolleyes: Thats why I keep screwing around with stock engines. I'm actually also considering the idea of selling all of my s/c stuff to buy a lexus sc300. inline 6 FTW. 2jz with a 2mm headgasket + turbo = 500whp.

Most of us have been through the I dont have any money to spend on a big dollar mod like an engine. But I have found through experence that taking short cuts doesnt really save money or time. And as old as I am time is important. If you make a plan and stick with it you will get a nice running car that doesnt go boom on a regular basis. If you take short cuts with a lexus the same thing will happen. Now that would be pricey. I see SCs cars and engines in the for sale forums here regularly. I have seen many SCs in the junk yard. Pull an engine, put in on a 40 dollar engine stand. Slap a mid of the road perfomance cam in it. Do a little porting on it. some ARP studs and fel pro gaskets. A few minor mods or performance improvements and you would be at where you want to be for very little money. Call it a day

Ken

scxr7
02-25-2010, 11:28 PM
the thing is, I've already got a comp cam stage 2 cam, along with matching rockers and pushrods, nitrous, ported big valve heads, and a cut-n-weld lower manifold with matching return plenum and a 75mm throttle body, with an mpx,I just need to get a solid bottom end to put all of it onto.. after blowing this last N/A motor, I've been saving every penny I can. I've managed to scrounge up 1,100 in the past 2 weeks. thats with working 50+hrs a week and not spending more than 10 bucks on food this week. I've been eating lunch and dinner at my girlfriends house :p . I'm going to do things the proper way this time and save up for a solid bottom end that can handle 400whp. the nitrous will be a huge help at the track in my opinion. wether I add the nitrous or not will be a deciding factor on my part, but at least I have a full kit ready to go if I want to add it.

scxr7
04-15-2010, 06:03 PM
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=220617&id=697979898

slowpoke
09-06-2010, 02:20 PM
if indeed to use the proper block this time, take your time putting it together, and make sure you do everything by the book, then im sure you will be happy with the outcome and end up with an engine that last alot longer. hope it goes goes well for you. dont be scared to ask questions while putting the new engine together.

scxr7
09-06-2010, 02:55 PM
yep I used a SC block and crank this time around. got the new motor built and its running. just gotta tune it. so far so good though. should put down around 400whp

ironworker
09-06-2010, 07:56 PM
i like that set up . u must of got it from a good guy.. i hope this time around it stays altogether

ironworker
09-06-2010, 08:45 PM
The rods are forged SCAT 6.200 H-beams and the and come with pins

Wiseco forged piston Compression ratio is 8.8 and bore is .030" competition SS rings

hit me up if u want them

daviidwilson
11-09-2010, 08:13 PM
I HAD 10.0-11.0 AFR with that "safe" tune. but that was before I fixed my intercooler piping issues. I'm guessing that when the car was tuned, it was tuned with the boost leaks. since I fixed those leaks I made a few more psi. which I'm linking the leaner AFR to.

well. I'm not too sure how long the s/c bottom end will last compared to the n/a bottom ends. I mean, I like to push the hell out of my motors. Would forged rods and pistons be any better than stock with what I do to them? seems like even with 400whp guys are blowing motors with forged rods and pistons on v6power. I'm contemplating on 2 things. put the s/c bottom end in my cougar, or rebuild the s/c motor with forged pistons and rods and THEN put it in the cougar.

XR7 Dave
11-10-2010, 07:39 PM
well. I'm not too sure how long the s/c bottom end will last compared to the n/a bottom ends. I mean, I like to push the hell out of my motors. Would forged rods and pistons be any better than stock with what I do to them? seems like even with 400whp guys are blowing motors with forged rods and pistons on v6power. I'm contemplating on 2 things. put the s/c bottom end in my cougar, or rebuild the s/c motor with forged pistons and rods and THEN put it in the cougar.

The only way you blow up a forged aftermarket bottom end in an SC is by bad tuning or other stupidity. The motor is solid when built right.