What have you dyno'd with your FMIC?

91BLOWNBIRD

Just wondering if anyone has dyno'd with a FMIC and more specifically one like mine and what were your numbers?

Attachments

• FMIC.jpg
    FMIC.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 293
The only reason anyone would get better numbers with a FMIC is if the car was getting timing pulled previously due to heatsoak. Most of the time, the gains seen are from upping the O/D.

-Corey

x2 you shouldn't really pick up much, if anything it would be attributed to less resistance within the inter-cooler and better flowing pipes

Thanks to all the compliments...I had a local exhaust shop (they do top notch work) weld the pipes and I installed the IC and dual fans...I plan to ceramic coat the pipes in a month or so.

I guess I am trying to see if anyone had problems with this type of FMIC restricting HP & TQ...it isn't the biggest FMIC.

Dave isn't finished tuning it yet but it feels like I only have maybe 300rwhp :(

My Mods:

7" K&N Conical Filter
Custom Cold Air Divider
C&L 76mm MAF w/ 3.5"-3" Reducing Hose
MP 3.5" Intake Tube Ceramic Coated Like Chrome
MP 85mm TB
MPX Inlet Plenum
MPX Blower W/ Coated Rotors
MP Raised SC Top
MP Overdrive Pulley Kit(25%)
Aluminum Alternator & Waterpump Pulleys(stock ratios)
MP Heavy Duty Tensioner Springs
Aluminum Accessory Tensioner
Custom Front Mounted IC W/ Ceramic Coated 2.75" Upper & Lower Pipes
Dual 6" 1800cfm IC Fans
Grifin Super High Capacity Aluminum Radiator
Custom A/C Delete
BHJ Harmonic Balancer
1.8 Roller Rockers
Comp XE Custom Grind Cam .567/.567Lift, 212/218Dur@.050, 110 LS
Ported Heads by Gromm Racing w/ Hardened Valves 1.8 int. 1.5 exh.
Comp Elliptical Beehive Springs
All Fel-Pro Gaskets(MLS Head Gaskets)
Block Prep & Build by Gromm Racing
ARP Head/Main/Rod Studs
Wiseco .020 Over Forged Pistons From Dave Dalke Machined By Gromm
351W Cat H-Beam Rods From Dave Dalke Touched Up by Gromm Racing
Oil System Reworked by Gromm Racing
Kooks Mid-Length Headers
High Flow Cats
Magnaflow Dual 2.5" In/Out Muffler in Place of Resonator
Dual 2.5" Pipes Through Gas Tank & Exit Centered Through Bumper
255lph Fuel Pump
60lb Fuel Injectors
MN12 Fuel Pressure Regulator
180* Thermostat
SCT Chip W/ Switch Tuned By Dave Dalke
Solid Ruber Motor Mounts

There is such a thing as running too big of an intercooler and that will cause you to lose power.

Fraser

hm...okay pretty much loss of pressure due to larger area to fill? that makes sense.

A few people have mentioned that the IC I am running is too small, but I dont think anyone has actually tested it.

There is such a thing as running too big of an intercooler and that will cause you to lose power.

Fraser

Fraser,

I don't understand how that is possible, unless you are cooling the charge air down to a point where condensation occurs and the resulting water starts fouling the combustion process.

David

Fraser,

I don't understand how that is possible, unless you are cooling the charge air down to a point where condensation occurs and the resulting water starts fouling the combustion process.

David

+1 I cant see it being an issue unless it flows some crappy number like 500cfm. I cant fit a bigger IC, its around the size of the one on your turbo car. 24x12x3 core. My car makes roughly 280rwhp in a mustang dyno which is pretty stinking high for a stock long block. If my BIG IC was hurting me I think my numbers would be lower. Also hit 19.8psi on the dyno at 4500rpm with 15% OD so I dont think the pressure drop is too high. I dont think I could improve with any IC unless it was liquid to air and producing below ambiant IAT's

Last edited:
I should add though, Im running a ebay core, rated at 700cfm ish. Running a stock engine like mine Im not pushing that much. This ebay thing could become a issue with more power. I dont think the size would be at fault, just the flow. If I ran into that problem Id probably use an IC of similar size, just not some chinese cheapo. But if I do ever run into that problem I may try a liquid to air setup but thats off topic.

the ebay intercoolers are actually quite decent

theres a TON of folks that run those exact intercoolers on the turbo forums and some of those guys are making well over 1000rwhp with no problems

matter of fact i have an cxracing intercooler for my 408, can't vouch for it just yet :cool:

Fraser,

David

Think air velocity and so on and what changing sizes does to pressure. Going by sheer size alone just helps in how long it takes to get it heat soaked, but I bet there is alot of efficiency being dropped due to that, which means less power for the motor. Take that same car from the 1/4 mile and run it for 30 minutes on a road course and lets see the numbers.

There is a science to building an IC setup that has a high thermal efficiency with low pressure drop, and so far I have yet to see anyone here do the home work. I've started it and the results are very surprising, and I'm going to test that early spring this year.

Fraser

Fraser,

David

It is quite possible to have too big of an intercooler, and in fact some people here have ones that are. There are diminishing returns wherein the more intercooler you have, the more friction it presents to the moving air charge vs. the cooling that results from the interaction of the air with the surface area of the core. There is also the factor of air speed past the cooling surface medium. Too slow and efficiency starts to really fall off.

There are other factors as well, but the fact is that there absolutely is a point of a reversal of returns based on IC size.

this is my FMIC

This is my FMIC:

Length (Core) 19.5"
Height 11" (9.5")
Height (Core) 6"
Thickness 3"
Inlet 2.5"
Outlet 2.5"
Compress Air Flow Rate <700Cubic Feet/Min, Rated to 350-400 Max HP
Working Pressure: 5~50PSI
Pressure Drop 2~5psi@35psi; 0.2~0.5psi@15psi
Hot Air Temperature 32°F~302°F (0°C~150°C)
Material 100% Aluminum
Design Bar and Plate
Construction Machine Cut and Stamped, Hand Welded
Finish Polished
Net Weight 12 lbs

Attachments

• IC.jpg
    IC.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 126
Oh, I think I've seen that core before. I wish you guys would stop buying that core, it's not good for an Eaton blower application.

Ed Nicholson had a core like that on his car and I don't think it worked as well as the double IC he took off.

The problem with that core is insufficient time for the air to transfer the heat into the core itself before its out again, and because of the short distance it won't take long to heat soak it.

A core like that would be good for a low boost, high volume of air type application. Say a big block v8 running with around 5 pounds of boost thats moving 700cfm when naturally aspirated (exagerated a bit but you get the idea :) ).

Fraser

Back