PDA

View Full Version : rear suspension

VINCES
02-19-2010, 01:12 AM
My '94 SC was riding very rough over bumps, esp the rear. A few weeks ago, before the snow, I replaced the rear shocks (original, I believe ~145k miles). I was surprised the shocks actually had some life to them after removal, by depression shocks and letting them rebound, all be it not on the car....

I put Tokico Illumina II's on....now, the car seems to ride more like a Lincoln...and the rear suspension is soft now, and can easily be pushed down on the rear bumper, and rebounds a few times. I have never had an SC where the rear can be so easily pushed down. I don't remember being able to push it down that much before, or as much rebound, i guess the rear shocks probably just didn't have as much travel/were slightly frozen???

It almost seems like the car needs springs now....could the old shocks have been hiding weak springs?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

RalphP
02-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Have you tried firming up the Tokicos?

RwP

VINCES
02-19-2010, 11:47 AM
i have tried the switch but didn't really seam a whole lot different....less difference than with the old shocks.

RalphP
02-19-2010, 11:48 AM
I'd double check and make sure the actuators are properly attached then.

Sounds like it's stuck in "Soft" and not firming up any.

RwP

VINCES
02-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Maybe....wouldn't the FIRM light blink then?

When replacing the actuators, there isn't any 'trick' is there? Meaning, you just clip them back on witht he harness in same direction as it was when removed? And wondering odds of both not being installed properly?

VINCES
02-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Anyone? Wouldn't the Firm light switch blink if the actuators weren't putting the chocks into FIRM, or if they weren't hooked up correctly?

VINCES
03-10-2010, 12:40 PM
any other ideas?

rzimmerl
03-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Do some searches for the Tokicos, they have been known to have different ride then the OE's.

VINCES
03-10-2010, 12:44 PM
i expected a firmer ride than stock on FIRM setting...there is almost no difference in either setting....My thought was if the actuator wasn't switching them to FRIM, i would get blinking light on dash?

ricardoa1
03-10-2010, 12:46 PM
I think your springs are aged. Take out the tockicos an see if there are leaking or something. Push down and see if they are in good working order.

VINCES
03-10-2010, 12:48 PM
i didn't think it was the springs before i changed the shocks out. I didn't have a mushy rear suspension before the Tokicos a few weeks ago. I could barely push the rear of car down before the swap either, now it has a big push down and recoil.