one screwed SC

SCedTBird

A couple of weeks ago i took my car to DILBLASI FORD for brakes.new superfluid and a DIAG/ECC TEST because i felt like my SCwas not runin right now my broke down the harmonic broke off the crankshaft pulley what should i do?they tellin me i need a engine(******* my engine is good)or they could tackweld the crank shaft back but thers no warrantty if they do that i told DIBLASI FORD that when i went the first time it wasnt runing righr they said the CAR IS PERFECT .******* they shold have known that i gettin screwed with my SC i need some help what should i do i have a appontment with the boss of DIBLASI FORD on monday i want them to do the rite thing or something gonna go down:p.S. IF ITS TACKWELD BACK ON WOULD THE CAR RUN THE SAME:confused:

I wouldn't have them weld anything

I can't quite determine from your email exactly what went, but if the crankshaft end was broken off, then you need a new crank.

Well, the bottom line is - if you weld ANYTHING on there, you're setting yourself up for a BIG headache later. If they're talking about welding your harmonic balancer on the crank, then that's just Stupid.

But that's my opinion.
-S

what there sayin is the harmonic balance broke off from the crankshaft so they would have to tackweld it back

The Harmonic Balancer is press-fitted on the end of the crankshaft, and held in place by a bolt & washer.

Now, if the Harmonic Balancer cracked and let loose, welding it back on the crank destroys your crankshaft (which is an EXPENSIVE FIX, I just replaced mine). That is a balanced assembly, and the purpose is to isolate vibrations in the system at certain frequencies from becoming resonances that will destroy your crankshaft bearings. If you just weld on a harmonic balancer, the chances of you spinning a bearing later are quite good.

If I were you, I'd replace the harmonic Balancer. You can get them from Ford complete as an assembly with pulley. Don't unbolt the assembly without marking, because the orientation of that pulley to the balancer is critical.

You're looking at $285 or so for that part, but it's worth it in the long run.

Good Luck.
-S

Are you sure this is an actual Ford dealership and not a burned out crack house with a lot of Ford vehicles in the front yard? I don't think I've ever heard of event the shadiest of mechanics trying to tell someone that they could weld their crankshaft dampener back together. The dampener is a pretty common failuer point on these cars. You can usually get the rest of the dampener off of the crank without pulling the engine. I would remove the remainder of the dampener and install either a new Ford unit or buy an aftermarket unit from BHJ.

I can't believe what I just read. Who are these clowns?, certainly not mechanics.

You will probably need a new crank position sensor also.

Last edited:
Like everyone sez, replace that balancer!!!

You can get a very good aftermarket balancer (more expensive than the crappy Ford stock unit, but well worth it!). The new part is all steel and not likely to break like the stock aluminum hub. Get a new bolt and possibly a new washer while you are at it.

The bolt holes on the pulley should be offset so it goes back on the new balancer properly. If you do get a Ford stock unit it comes with a new pulley. The BHJ part does not.

These two other SCCoA posts will tell you about the BHJ unit and where to get a bolt since ours is obsolete!

http://209.15.55.25/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5367

http://209.15.55.25/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8928

WELD?????????

hey i had the same thing happen to me on my 91 sc the bolt on the crank broke off all you need to have done is have them tap and re-tread the crank and put a new hb on for you but DONT weld anything on !! It took them a day to do that at a cost of about 200.00 for parts and labor:D

Hey no big deal... even if it cause's a bearing to spin.. .

we can weld that later too...

hahahahahaha

:p

angry sc owner says "arg! theres water in my oil!"

shady ford mechanic says "hmm... well you need a new engine... BUT what we can do is just weld the heads to the block... BUT there wont be warranty" lol

dont let them weld anything!!

buy the balancer and take it somwhere else.

Get your SC out of that Dealership before they stick you with a bill for $5000.00 for an engine replacement that you don't need. The broken balancer is not uncommon. I have broken three on my '92 over the years. If you have some mechanical ability, you can fix it yourself (believe me, if I can do it, so can you). Even if you don't want to try it, we can give you the step-by-step procedures so that you can find a reputable mechanic to do the job for a couple of hundred bucks (plus parts). I keep hearing about Ford dealerships wanting to replace engines instead of just fixing the car. If they can't properly diagnose the problem, what makes you think they can properly install an engine (and make it run)????

AVOID THE DEALERSHIP!!!!

AVOID THE DEALERSHIPS!!!!!

Amen Brother "GRIGGS"....DEALERSHIP = License to STEAL

I will never go back man..NEVER...DR. Fred, and a few others would be the only authorized CATS to touch my rides...

Cheers

this is a joke huh?

Er...um...I don't think you'll ever see anyone tack (much less weld) an aluminum balancer to a steel crankshaft.

:)

'bird

Back