Oil in the SC tube/intercooler

Lsquared

I just took off the SC top and air tube that goes to the intercooler so that i could put on a new alternator, screamin demon coil pack and a sct chip. When taking off these parts i noticed a fair ammount of oil in the tube as well as the intercooler. I do not want to put it back together before i figure out if this is normal. I am going to pull the plugs and see if they are black/or oily because i have to gap them for the new coil pack anyhow.

This summer i did the following to the car
-new remanufactured engine
-3.5"SCP Fresh Air Intake w/ k&n filter, removed air silencer
-76mm C&L MAF
-Rebuilt Supercharger withMPX Supercharger Case & Inlet Plenum
-15% SC & JS Pulley
-MP85mm Throttle Body
-MP Raised Top
-Aluminum Underdrive Pulleys
-NewHoses
-IC Fan
-42lb injectors
-High Flow Fuel pump
-New StainlessExhaust with Magnaflow Cats, Res, and Mufflers
-3.73 gears
-b&m shift kit
-3 gauge pillar pod with Autometer C2 gauges (boost, oil pressure, temp).......

If anyone could give me some advice and let me know if this is normal to have some oil in these parts or lead me as to why i would have some in here that would be great. I must note that the car was not running perfect before the alternator went out and i was hoping that the SCT chip and the new coil pack from bill will fix that issue. I felt like i should have more power and when starting after driving for a short bit it would have an issue starting.

Thanks,

Laurence

Yes it is normal to have some oil in them, about how much did you have come out. If you want to remove that oil look into a PCV oil separator like the ones in the Group Purchase from AMW that just took place. Also I would not install the Screamin Demon coil pack as a lot of members here have had them fail rather quickly.

Thanks, i will have to look into the oil separator. I cant say that there was a huge amount of oil but the tube was coated and it was a fair build up near the collars. I just took out one of the plugs and seems to have some excessive oil on the shaft of the plug and some carbon build up towards the electrode. The build up could be fairly normal but the oil on the shaft seems odd to me.

Thanks for letting me know about the coil pack. I thought it would help me get some extra spark and help the bird run a little more efficiently but it might be a hit and miss if it is prone to fail.

i'd love to see a picture of this oil separator installed... where exactly is it mounted and how does it work??

They are small and can be about mounted about anywhere. You simply run a hose from the PCV valve to the separator then run a hose from the separator to the supercharger inlet plenum where the PCV valve hose used to go.

Seperators

I have in some applications used a plastic fuel filter ( ike a Fram G-2) between the PCV and intake. This catches enough oil to prevent a problem and is cheap to replace.

Back