ignition key is FUBARED!!!

90turbo1

Grrrrr, Ahhhhh crap...

so I am fed up with the ignition key in my supercoupe.

when I insert the key the center wants to turn with out the outer metal parts and i have to jiggle and wiggle it and talk real nice to it. (crap I have a wife I have to do that to so I dont need a car doing that also)

so my question is.

is this fixable?

are parts still available from ford?

I understand the electrical switch is not attached to that part should I replace that also?

thanks

I'm not absolutely sure, but it looks like it will work. A lot of these tumblers are the same. You can also buy an ignition tumbler under the "HELP" brand in most parts stores. I replaced one in a Windstar with the HELP piece. It worked fine, although it did wear out after a few years. Not sure if the HELP one can be re-keyed.

well I contaced the seller and he said that that is the correct one (although its black instead of chrome) for all thunderbirds up to 1994 after 1994 they went to the larger ears and key.

so I ordered that one.

that makes me wonder if my problem with starting isnt linked to a fubard switch and tumbler assembly.

just go to autozone and get a new lock cylinder, $15 comes with new keys, you can actually take your original key and get a competent key replicator to cut the new ignition keys to unlock the doors that way you only have 1 key like original, matter of fact the new lock cylinder even had ford engraved on the key like OEM, side by side you can not tell them apart

nope auto zone prices are 35 now. inflation sucks.

napa has 16 in stock.. so I will get that one locally.

now how do I remove it?

thanks

Take off the trim around the steering wheel column. Put the key in the ignition and turn it backwards. There is a little hole thats under the trim that you took off. You put a paper clip in that and this will allow you to release the key from the column. You can take your new lock to a lock smith and they can key it to fit your original key. Maybe $10 and 15 minutes depending how busy they are. I'm sure somebody here has pictures on how to take this out.

-x2

I thought you have to turn it to the ignition on position not backwards, at least thats how i've always done them???

don't think i've ever tried backwards... hmm

That may be. I did mine a few years ago. Either way you need the key in and turn it. Then put a paperclip or stiff wire in the hole to release the pin.

ok thanks, some one I work with said there is a tool at ford that I need that slides in next to key and trips the release.

your way makes more sence I can see the spring loaded pin now. thanks

Back