PS pump pulley help

Slater85

SCCoA Member
So i pull my car out to wash it and while i was pulling it back in i heard a loud clanking sound, so i pop the hood and guess what my power steering pump pulley is just laying there jammed with the belt hanging..No damage was done to any other parts of the engine so i guess i got lucky. Now it looks like the pulley is just pressed on is there a nut or bolt that holds it in place ?because i cant find one?

It is a press-fit. You will need to rent a kit to press it back on. Falling off as it did, you may have a problem with the shaft on the powersteering pump. It is not that bad of a job to replace it and they tend to need it.

I just put mine on yesterday. It's a press fit. you need a bolt (about 2 inches long), a nut and a washer. put the nut on the bolt then the washer. thread the bolt into the p/s pump shaft and while holding the bolt turn the nut. put a little oil under the washer and nut. tighten it down until the p/s shaft hits the washer.
I'm wondering why it came off in the first place. If it don't fit on very tight replace the pulley, pump or both. you don't want it to come off again. you might not be as lucky the next time. Scott

Yeah the bore on the pulley looks pretty badly scarred for some reason but the shaft looks alright ill mic it in the morning. Can I replace only the shaft or do I have to replace the whole pump? I'm hoping I just need a new pulley

i would replace the pump and pulley, like said there is a reason that pulley came off.

most likely the pump siezed up and the pulley kept turning, or its been taken off one too many times.

and when its time to put it back on, i suggest heating it up with a blow torch - this way it should fall on, and there's no chance of damaging the shaft

Back