Cross roads. To do or not to do.

ricardoa1

I am running out of miscellaneous things to do to my car while I wait for the short block to get done.

So far I got the Tank, DriveShaft and Trans out, waiting for the engine.

Will I be creating more work for myself if I jump the gun and install the above items without the engine? Or should I just wait for the engine to bolt on the trans out of the car and lower it with the engine.

What would you do?

Why would you not install the driveshaft and tank now? I didnt have any problems installing the engine to the tranny, all ready in place othere than the tq converter not in all the way. That an AOD though

Ken

Why would you not install the driveshaft and tank now? I didnt have any problems installing the engine to the tranny, all ready in place othere than the tq converter not in all the way. That an AOD though

Ken

Well I figured it was goint to be easier to bolt on the trans out of the car and lower it with the engine. I dont want more work then I need. :eek:

Id put the trans in now and the rest of the stuff. The only real hard part is lining the torque converter studs up in the flex plate. if ford woulda done it with bolts instead of studs its soooo much easier.

Thats why i like my PI converter.:)

yea i would also install those parts it isn't all that hard to drop the motor in after the trans is in the car. but if you wanted to wait ether way works. just make sure you have like a 2 foot extension to get to the bell housing bolts and a universal!

Well the AOD will not be making back in. The car has to be rollable, how are you guys supporting the front of the trans I know when I did my blue car engine I just had a jackstand under it but I need to move the the car back and forth due to space restrictions.

Last edited:
Well the AOD will not be making back in. The car has to me rollable how are you guys supporting the front of the trans I know when I did my blue car engine I just had a jackstand under it but I need to move the the car back and forth due to space restrictions.

i tied the bell housing up from the wiper motor where the arm attaches:eek: my grandpa did it for 20 years on every car he worked on in the bark yard garage and i have done it a few times once on the sc. just make sure you remove the cowl or it will get broke!. or maybe someone else has a better suggestion. tho this does work if you wanna try it or not:eek:

Using a vehicle lift, I'd install the tranny now. Doing it on the ground....I'd install them together. Tank and shaft can go in now though. Just have a man under the car while you are sliding the engine/trans in the line the front yoke up....

I've got some ideas for you while you are waiting

sos%20pads.jpg

0511-0907-3023-5167_Man_Using_a_Power_Washer_clipart_image.jpg

flame-retardant-wireloom.jpg

ccrp_0610_01_z+engine_compartment_painting+guide.jpg

I just use a cloths hanger from the bell housing to a hole in the metal at the base of the windshield, if you leave the torque converter out its less weight there but I never have a problem.

In Canada the packaging is a law.

Might also want to try and clean your plastic's but it is a super crappy task.

I just use a cloths hanger from the bell housing to a hole in the metal at the base of the windshield, if you leave the torque converter out its less weight there but I never have a problem.

Pretty sure he is putting a M5R2 in it Chris....But coat hanger on a firwall stud or hole works either way...

Id put the trans in now and the rest of the stuff. The only real hard part is lining the torque converter studs up in the flex plate. if ford woulda done it with bolts instead of studs its soooo much easier.

Thats why i like my PI converter.:)

My Lentech converter uses bolts, and it's way easier to stab the motor when you don't have to mess with lining up those stupid studs.

David

Ill be doing this on the floor, no lift. Probably by myself. I did not find any sturdy place to put the coat hanger on the firewall. But sounds like you all agree on the tank and drive shaft. Ill do work son on those and decide if want to step it up. I had a hell of time getting the engine to line up to the trans when I did not do them together out the car. I remember fighting with the block for hours getting the input to go in the right place.

Last edited:
Ill be doing this on the floor, no lift. Probably by myself. I did not any sturdy place to put the coat hanger on the firewall. But sounds like you all agree on the tank and drive shaft. Ill do work son on those and decide if want to step it up. I had a hell of time getting the engine to line up to the trans when I did not do them together out the car. I remember fighting with the block for hours getting the input to go in the right place.

If you are doing it by yourself, I'd just bolt the trans onto the motor when you get it and slip it in as a unit. Trying to line things up by yourself can be done, but it isn't anywhere near as full proof. Though to be honest, having someone help you mount it on the ground is also helpful. having someone to help is one of the reasons why a guy should have a kid. Here my oldest helped me put the engine back in.
enginein.jpg

Having done it both ways in a MN-12 I suggest doing them separately and for making it easier to line up the studs to the flywheel, mock it up and mark the holes with a bright colored paint (I like yellow).

Ill be doing this on the floor, no lift. Probably by myself. I did not find any sturdy place to put the coat hanger on the firewall. But sounds like you all agree on the tank and drive shaft. Ill do work son on those and decide if want to step it up. I had a hell of time getting the engine to line up to the trans when I did not do them together out the car. I remember fighting with the block for hours getting the input to go in the right place.

Manuals are slightly more difficult to get lined up.....Due to the input having to line up in the splines in the clutch plate as well as the pilot....If you are doing this alone and on the ground. Mate them together and slide them in. Save yourself several hours of cursing....

Last edited:
Back