What IC tube size?

Hock

I'm looking to be getting a front mount IC real soon the only issue that I have is what size do I want the tubing to be. I can get 2 1/2", 2 3/4", or 3" pipe. The IC I can do either 2 1/2" inlet/outlet or 3" inlet/outlet. I was thinking either 2 1/2 or 2 3/4, leaning more towards the bigger because I would get the bigger I/O IC which would allow me to go to bigger tubing if I ever needed it. What do you guys think?

seach

you really should search the forum for "FMIC" there has been a lot of discussion about FMICs

Dave Dalk feels 2.75" is good piping size for a high boost eaton.

Also your IC core size will be important

good luck...do research first not like me :(

you really should search the forum for "FMIC" there has been a lot of discussion about FMICs

Dave Dalk feels 2.75" is good piping size for a high boost eaton.

Also your IC core size will be important

good luck...do research first not like me :(

29x11x3 is the size IC I'm planning on getting.

The MP FMIC I'm using has a 2.75" ID pipe from the supercharger to the intercooler inlet and a 2.50" ID pipe from the IC outlet to the return plenum. The ID of the return plenum as about 2.375" unported, so if you don't do something there to increase the ID it's not going to help much to use a larger diameter pipes. I would prefer to have both pipes be 2.75 ID, but the 2.50" return pipe doesn't seem to be a problem at my current power level.

I don't think it hurts anything to use a 3" intercooler pipes, and after seeing them on several cars, I can assure you there is not a perceptible difference in how fast they make boost after stepping on the gas compared to a 2.50" pipe.

David

If you do decide to use silicone couplings for the connections, be sure to weld a bead around the ends of each tube. Also, don't use those crap worm clamps. Get some nice T-bolt clamps and you shouldn't have any issue with blowing the tubes apart.

-Corey

Big emphasis on NICE t-bolts clamps. I snapped the bolt of one of my t-clamps pushing 17psi. It was the outlet pipe from the supercharger so it was a lil higher than 17psi.

I'm using breeze constant torque hose clamps. When used with silicone hoses, and set to the right torque, you should get a good seal throughout the temperature range and no cutting into the hose. A decent price from here:
http://www.partssystems.com/constant-torque-hose-clamp-heavy-duty.html

As far as holding hoses on, there are 3 ways to modify the aluminum tube. #1 - find a shop with a bead roller and have them roll a ridge on the end of the tube. #2 - weld a ridge around the tube. #3 - take a channel lock and just bend the end of the tube up a bit all the way around.

This thread has some ideas on making your own beads with vice grips.
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/i...50dff461058e1d177424b3ec77ed3&topic=115849.25

Note it also helps that if you are making your own system, try to get your tubes as close to each other as you can. If you can keep the distance to no more than 1/2 inch that the hose has to span, you'll find it's much easier to keep everything together. Also, use hump hoses on one end of the tubes to allow for engine movement and isolate the intercooler from engine vibrations.

Back