Questions after engine rebuild

Evan_90SC

Ok, I got my engine fully put back together tonight and got it running. I tore it down and did motor mounts, headgaskets, etc... I have a few questions:

1. I put all new lifters in it... When it runs now I can faintly hear them ticking a little. Its hard to hear it when I'm standing back, but when I put my head by the valve covers I can hear them, both sides. Is this normal after first startup? I followed the proper torquing procedure for the rockers, soaked the lifters in oil before installing, and used assembly lube on all the contacting parts. Man, I hope I don't have to take it apart to get to the lifters again... :rolleyes:

(On second thought... could it possibly be the injectors ticking? I'll fire it up tomorrow and listen to it closer. Probably have to break out a stethoscope. Is injector ticking common?)

2. The autometer temp gauge that I installed is not reading. There are 2 nuts on the top of the sensor, and the wire goes in between the 2 nuts... I'm thinking I might have tightened the first nut down a little too hard... and taken off a bit of that white sensor part of it.. (hard to explain). For those who understand what I mean... would that be a reason it's not reading? My other 2 autometer gauges work fine, so I don't think it's in my wiring, I think it's at the sensor...

3. What is proper oil pressure at idle? This kinda goes along with the lifters question, but I think I have good pressure. Running 10w30... At initial startup I had 50 psi at 700 rpm, and at full opperating temp I had 30 psi at 700 rpm. This seems right doesn't it?

All input is appreciated!

Last edited:
not sure about temp gauge but #1 & 3 sound normal...also are you sure you're not hearing your fuel injectors ticking?

Well, I actually answered my own questions tonight. :rolleyes:

It is my injectors that are ticking. I put a stethoscope down in there and it is definitely the injectors. They never made that much noise before, but oh well. At least it's not the lifters! :p

The reason my temp gauge wasn't reading was because there was still air in the system, so the sensor wasn't getting submurged.

And, I am still getting the same oil pressure.

The hood goes back on tomorrow, and I'll be taking it for a ride. All is good.... for now at least... knock on wood! :cool:

Well, I actually answered my own questions tonight. :rolleyes:

It is my injectors that are ticking. I put a stethoscope down in there and it is definitely the injectors. They never made that much noise before, but oh well. At least it's not the lifters! :p

The reason my temp gauge wasn't reading was because there was still air in the system, so the sensor wasn't getting submurged.

And, I am still getting the same oil pressure.

The hood goes back on tomorrow, and I'll be taking it for a ride. All is good.... for now at least... knock on wood! :cool:
Typical rule of thumb is that you need 10psi of oil pressure for every 1000rpm. Your pressure sounds correct. A high volume pump is added insurance though. Especially if you beat on it a lot....Well worth the hundred bucks....

Back