DIS Module testing at AutoZone-for the 1990

Bluntz

Ok, what i origanlly thought and was told a head gasket i am now thinking it is some sensor or ground issue.

Took the DIS module to autozone and here is what happened the best way i can describe.
The guy went to the computer thing that tests modules and flipped thru the pages of a book, for instance he was on page 36 and it went to page 40, he then tells me he needs the info on page 38 and he cant test it.

I say ok listen, figure out how to test it as close as possible and lets just see what happens. He does this and the DIS module passed.

The turmoil in dealing with this thing is killing me, i mean is that test reliable? logic says if the right values aint inputted then the right values wont be displayed hence i think it could still be bad even though it passed the test he gave it.

I am sorry if i am annoying everyone with noob ~~~~~ but i really love this car and i want to get her going but it just runs so rough, stalls, no power, i got spark everywhere good spark.

The only good news as of late is a new windshield, fuel pump relay swithc fixed some problems, and i dont have a head gasket blown.

This is almost disappoiting, at least the head gasket is straight forward and simple as opposed to trying to find a needle in a haystack with this sensor electrical issues, if that is what it is.

Thx again gentleman for any insight.

I've had the same problem trying to find out if a DIS is bad....

The test that you had done will not tell you if your DIS is bad.....

I took 7 of them to AZ for testing and 3 of them didn't pass.....

Got one of my parts cars running and they all tested out alright.....:confused:

There are quite a few things that will cause your rough running condition...

Have you checked for a clean MAF, bad / old fuel, fuel pressure regulator.....

Good spark..Why do you think its a DIS? We did mention vacuum leak if head gaskets appeared ok. WHats vac at idle and max boost when you have gotten on it? If you have a spark/DIS issue you will most likely be able to see an issue with your plugs and it will most likely be running rich from my experience,

Are your IC tubes and what not tight? Even if they are you can still have a leak but at least this will rule out the obvious

No vacuum leaks.

I am led to believe it is DIS because the plugs and wires new, the coil looks to be new and from what i have read they are bulletproof, so what else is there?
Lot of DIS issues with these things it looks like. It all adds up to big $$$.
I removed the DIS cleaned it sanded it sprayed electrical cleaner on the contacts, took some of my thermal paste arctic silver i use for my pc heatsinks hooked it all back up and now it wont even start. Frustrating man. I love the car and i am in for the long haul but dang this is tricky.

i would lean towards a TPS/IAC maybe something with the EGR setup? few bad injectors??? short in the enginebay wireharness? MAF is a high possibility also....the cougar I just bought would run rough...i cleaned the MAF and installed an open airfilter and it's a totally diff. car....I would deff. check fuel pressure...

What is your location? The best thing to do is to find someone with a functioning SC and swap the DIS between the two cars. See if your problem goes to his car and if your car is fixed. If so, replace the DIS.

If not, it's not the DIS. If you searched around here you would know, these cars are not inexpensive to repair. Not necessarily terribly expensive... but they are not mustang cheap.

I found a guy on craigslist who has a junker 92 for sale or scrap, says it has blown gaskets, im gonna offer him 50 to 100 to take all the sensors i can get.

Was i wrong to use heat sink paste on DIS? is that why it wont start now? I got dieelectric grease to but i thought paste be better.

PS. I live near grand rapids i Michigan.

Ok, what i origanlly thought and was told a head gasket i am now thinking it is some sensor or ground issue.

Took the DIS module to autozone and here is what happened the best way i can describe.
The guy went to the computer thing that tests modules and flipped thru the pages of a book, for instance he was on page 36 and it went to page 40, he then tells me he needs the info on page 38 and he cant test it.

I say ok listen, figure out how to test it as close as possible and lets just see what happens. He does this and the DIS module passed.

The turmoil in dealing with this thing is killing me, i mean is that test reliable? logic says if the right values aint inputted then the right values wont be displayed hence i think it could still be bad even though it passed the test he gave it.

I am sorry if i am annoying everyone with noob ~~~~~ but i really love this car and i want to get her going but it just runs so rough, stalls, no power, i got spark everywhere good spark.

The only good news as of late is a new windshield, fuel pump relay swithc fixed some problems, and i dont have a head gasket blown.

This is almost disappoiting, at least the head gasket is straight forward and simple as opposed to trying to find a needle in a haystack with this sensor electrical issues, if that is what it is.

never trust autozone test, ever, imo. the alternator that im using atm charging 2 batteries, 1 yellow top and one red top, tested bad at auto zone. the said by there test its shot. well sure as heck fooling me, its charging not 1 but 2 batteries like a champ. fyi. :)

Well as you know i took the dis module off, cleaned it sanded it and sprayed the contacts real good. When i put it back on i used arctic silver heat thermal paste, car did not start at all.
Yesterday afternoon it drove me crazy, i took the dis off again, recleaned it, this time put die electric grease on it thin layer, hooked everythign up again and went to start got like 5 cranks and it died on the battery started clickin.
Took battery put it on charger, this morning, took my wife to work, went to junkyard and got a driver door mirror. Came home on a charged up battery and tried to start it and nothing. It felt like it wanted to start and almost kicked over a few times but it never did.
2 things to consider, im in the red zone on gas, and the temperatures outside are freezing so that isnt helping me either.
I have a line of thought that goes like this, car was running, not great but it did start everytime i went to start it up until i took this dis module off. Would this be a good indicator of the DIS being bad? I got 2 gallons of gas i got warming to room temperature at the moment. I will put that in in a couple hours and try it again, if it dont start i will do another spark plug reading and see if it is getting spark.
Any ideas? Im gonna read up today on how to do a fuel pressure test to rule that out but man i am running out of cheap ideas. Going to go buy some sensors off another thunderbird today that has a blown gasket, im hoping this will lead me to some answers even though i am skeptical to pay good money for sensors off a overheated motor even though the guy says it still starts up.

Sounds as though could be the Cam sensor, when they go out the car must guess which plug to fire to get it started and usually takes upto 7 cranks for it go get it.

Well as you know i took the dis module off, cleaned it sanded it and sprayed the contacts real good. When i put it back on i used arctic silver heat thermal paste, car did not start at all.
Yesterday afternoon it drove me crazy, i took the dis off again, recleaned it, this time put die electric grease on it thin layer, hooked everythign up again and went to start got like 5 cranks and it died on the battery started clickin.
Took battery put it on charger, this morning, took my wife to work, went to junkyard and got a driver door mirror. Came home on a charged up battery and tried to start it and nothing. It felt like it wanted to start and almost kicked over a few times but it never did.
2 things to consider, im in the red zone on gas, and the temperatures outside are freezing so that isnt helping me either.
I have a line of thought that goes like this, car was running, not great but it did start everytime i went to start it up until i took this dis module off. Would this be a good indicator of the DIS being bad? I got 2 gallons of gas i got warming to room temperature at the moment. I will put that in in a couple hours and try it again, if it dont start i will do another spark plug reading and see if it is getting spark.
Any ideas? Im gonna read up today on how to do a fuel pressure test to rule that out but man i am running out of cheap ideas. Going to go buy some sensors off another thunderbird today that has a blown gasket, im hoping this will lead me to some answers even though i am skeptical to pay good money for sensors off a overheated motor even though the guy says it still starts up.

by chance did you check yet to see if there are any codes popping? make sure all the wires under your hood are good, and for the fuel rail, there is a port on it that you can install a pressure gauge to, check the search and im sure you'll find some pics. i have 1 myself off of a r134 test kit. its the same thing and has the neat colors on it that fall right into place for proper fuel pressure for our cars. dumb luck :)

Im going through the same thing they told me yesterday it was a blown gasket no its an electrical problem I feel ya same stuff just happened to me.

same exact thing happened to myself first they said 1300 for head gasket then i got a sec opinion they said it was electrical go figure.

Well gentz, i am back from a long trip to disneyworld, and i am ready to rock and roll. I have a brand new DIS module, ill post the results here soon. Wish me luck id love to drive this car today!

With that in mind one quick question, as i am facing the motor is this the correct way this module will go on, pins 1 thru 6 facing the supercharger?

1DU00604.jpg

the plugs are keyed so each one will only go on the proper end. That'll help you figure out the orientation.

Wow,i couldnt be more devastated. Had a long day at work yesterday, decided even th0ogh it was 10 pm i have to try tthis, i get the DIS installed, zip notta, dry hump squirt.

I love this car so much but that is easily turning to hate. This issue is getting to me.

Well at least i gotta new chip right guys??? cue the sarcasm.

Just to close this thread out my problem was fouled spark plugs. I put 6 new ones in and she started right up.

Back