Fixing hole in dirverside floorboard!

91BLOWNSC

Just wondering, the guy before me that owned my car had a leak int he windshield and failed to fix it. Lets just say it resulted in a whole about 6 inches in diameter (maybe bigger) right where my feet go in my floorboard. So, my question is how would I go about fixing and sealing this up. I thought about cutting out the really bad metal, sanding down the rest and then pop riveting a new peice of sheet metal in place. I would then tar the bottom. Is this the way to go? Has anyone had experience with this type of thing. Please let me know it would be appreciated! Thanks!

Pop rivets will work, but not as nice as a mig'd in patch. Depending on the shape of the rusty area, It might be worth going to a boneyard and cutting a section out of a junk T-bird floor.

use aluminum rivets and pop-rivet from the bottom up(smoother look), make sure they arent too long(rubs into carpet), if they are, grind them down a bit. Primer from the top and bottom and spray with "Bedliner" or "Rubberized" undercoating(wont be sticky). Use about 20 gauge metal.

floor rot

I had the same problem, except it was in my rear floor pans, a gaping hole on each side. I cut the entire rear floor pans out and a friend of mine who welds welded in a new piece of metal. We just cut a piece of metal to the shape of the hole we cut the floor out, and he mig welded the new floors in for me. Good luck.

Kyle

Back