All sunroofs the same?

MrSnow

I have an 89 and the sunroof is moving up and and down when I shut the doors and it has a lot of wind noise. I searched around the junk yard and found a sunroof with a good rubber seal, but it was a later model. 94? or so. Did they change the sunroof parts or can I use the stuff from the newer model on my t bird? Or should i try to order new stuff from a retailer?

Yes they are all made by Webasto from 89-96 in 97 they changed the design slightly. Also Gen II 97-98 marks got a slightly different one most likely the same one the 97 birds got. The switch was changed from 89-90 to a different one that has maplights thats from 91 on. And there was an update on the shade circa 93 that deleted the louver vents on them. There was also an update in the programming around that time, that stopped the roof at 3/4 and you had to press the button again to fully open. That 3/4 open was to reduce wind noise at highway speeds.

Now what about the motors? I had to get a relay for my 92 and when I pulled the old part out, it was a BMW part. After going to the BMW dealer, the part number on the relay was for mid 80's BMW sunroofs (go figure) and was just a bit over $60. I took the old relay cover off and cleaned the contacts and its been working for about 6 years now. I have a newer motor assembly that uses the wabasco relay and the pins are different. The relays do NOT swap between the 2. The motor panels do swap, but itonly opens 3/4 the first time. I just thought it was from a newer model and was set that way. Now I have an idea.

Back