Tips for daignosing my seat belts on drivers side

90turbo1

so my auto torture device (seat belt) has never worked on my 1992.

it is fully back position (which is good I guess) and I cannot figure out this system.

when I open the door the "door ajar" light on dash comes on, seat belt does not move.

when I close the door the light on dash goes out, but ding ding ding ding is constant from dash. also some times the inner handel feels like it does nothing for some reason. once (while vehicle was on lift) i could not open the door from the inside had to roll down window and use outside handle.

stryker on door jamb is in great condition as are the hinges which have no up or down wear to them.

any info would be appreciated. I have used search feature but about three pages into it and still stumped...

thanks

oh forgot to mention,

this is only the drivers side. Pass side works just fine.

also I have noticed that the door lock (chrome button that pops up and down) on drivers side when locked sticks up about 1/2 inch and unlocked 3/4 inch. but on passengers side when locked it goes flush with door panel, and unlocked its about 1/2 inch up. is this normal....

i am thinking the latch on the drivers door is FUBARED!!!

There are limit switches at each end of the seat belt track assembly that could be bad or unplugged. There is a module located in the trunk on the drivers side for auto seat belt control. There is a switch inside the door at the latch assembly but that must be working correctly if the door ajar light is working. The seat belt motor could be bad.

On my 90 SC it was a combination of the module in the trunk and the forward limit switch on the seat blet track assembly that were both bad.

I bought a Ford Auto Seat Belt tester off of Ebay for $25 shipped. Nice item to have if you are keeping the stock auto seat belts.

well i dont want to keep them for long, just need them working for wifes piece of mind.

yes I agree the door switch is working but what controls the gong for the seatbelt. that dings constantly.

is there a way to check faults in this system..

thanks

well i dont want to keep them for long, just need them working for wifes piece of mind.

yes I agree the door switch is working but what controls the gong for the seatbelt. that dings constantly.

is there a way to check faults in this system..

thanks

there are 2 switchs for the door one for the seat belts and the one for the inside lights. the one for the seat belts is at the latch. the one for the lights is the one you see at the door jam.

i had trouble with mine. i went to a pick and pull yard and pulled a motor and switchs. mine turned out to be the motor. i think i supplied power to mine to figure it out.this was like 4 years ago. tho i know the auto seat belts can be a pain!

Back