Researching some headers...

mot19

So i have been looking for headers downpipe and resonator. I just cant understand the extremely high price of headers for these beasts. SCP Kooks with the long tubes look nice expecially with deleting the cats and all but $780 is super crazy. I put a headers back setup on my 96 probe gt for that much. Is there any more budget friendly solution? I wouldnt even mind companys like pace setter, megan exc.. I already have a resonator back flowmaster setup. Im just looking to free up towards the engine in preparation for a 5% OD pulley and a tune. Thanks for your time.

Edit: Also, would the headers absolutely NEED to be replaced for just a 5% OD and a tune? I understand the risk of HG failure but the engine only has 20,000 on a swap so i think she is pretty strong in that arena....

So with http://supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?partId=320 and a 5% OD a header+downpipe install wont be that beneficial and not at all dangerous? this is actually great news for my wallet if so. Also out of curiosity how much of a real gain could i see out of a 5% OD, tune, and the resonator back setup? I really would just enjoy below 15 sec pulls. It is automatic unfortunately though the gentleman i purchased the car from claims it has a shift kit...

Actually, the price is right. Sucks, but its true. I paid just under 1k dollars for headers ONLY on my Mark 8. These were 3/4 length Kooks with the JetHot coating. Having gone this route more than once, don't get ANYTHING without the coating. I also just got a set for my Mach 1, cats and full length coated stainless headers from SLP ran me 1300.00. Sucks, but Im looking at the same for my XR7.

So with http://supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?partId=320 and a 5% OD a header+downpipe install wont be that beneficial and not at all dangerous? this is actually great news for my wallet if so. Also out of curiosity how much of a real gain could i see out of a 5% OD, tune, and the resonator back setup? I really would just enjoy below 15 sec pulls. It is automatic unfortunately though the gentleman i purchased the car from claims it has a shift kit...

Port the stock exhaust manifolds and they will perform well enough to get up to 350rwhp. Save your money. I should be in the 11s this year with my auto so dont feel the auto is a dog. The problem with the stock AOD if you a 93 or older is the grand ma shifts. Spend the money you save on a lentech valve body and the car will feel like a real muscle car

Ken

you want budget friendly... get a set of 95 exhaust manifolds and port them/have them ported. just as good as a set of mac shorties and will save you a few bucks, plus be compatible with all the stock exhaust components.

if you havent already, ditch that resonator for a higher flow one, will free up some airflow and make your sc generally happier. its also a debated point that it aids in preventing headgasket failure. it certainly cant hurt :)

Back