IC tubes for a MP FMIC

Can anyone with a stock, unaltered return plenum measure the entrance? I would expect it to be a 2 3/8" but wouldnt be surprised if it is slightly smaller.

Ken

I read this very recently in a fmic thread, im searching for it now. Im positive someone mentioned the ID of the return plenum. Maybe it was frit

ID or OD? The link Corey posted from Neibert states ID.

What is the ID of the supercharger top?

ID of the stock top is 2.4. Just stuck my fancy digital calipers on it. When I look at the stock top its hard to figure out why it is not a HP restriction even for a stock SC.

Ken

Don't take my word as fact...get the actual measurement. I'm just going off my memory which isn't always correct.

David

Don't take my word as fact...get the actual measurement. I'm just going off my memory which isn't always correct.

David

It sounds right since the top is the same. I read sometime ago that the return would flow 600cfm which according to the thread would support a high performance engine turning 7000 rpm. If that is true than 2 1/2" would be all any SC motor would need. I am not trying to invent anything here, just trying to understand how the flow of air works through our IC systems so I get the biggest bang for my sweat;)

Ken

No part of the SC intake system flows 600cfm except for the 70mm MAF. But, whatever any inlet parts flow after the blower have to be boost compensated which is easier said than done.

why is it that no one has made a legit return plenum? is the stock good enough for even high boost apps.?

Randy Baker made a bunch of intake manifolds with enlarged return plenums. Here is a post with several pictures. I don't recall anyone who installed one getting a significant power increase over a ported stock unit. I do think it will be helpful for those people who switch to a solid roller cam and start turning more than 7000 rpms.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=702124&postcount=1

David

Randy Baker made a bunch of intake manifolds with enlarged return plenums. Here is a post with several pictures. I don't recall anyone who installed one getting a significant power increase over a ported stock unit. I do think it will be helpful for those people who switch to a solid roller cam and start turning more than 7000 rpms.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=702124&postcount=1

David
I doubt I will get mine on this year to find out.

disclaimer: cheap micrometer and really cheap caliper

I took these measurements on the long stretches between bends:
upper OD = 2.480
lower OD = 2.725

.35-40 thickness

Because of the special ends on the pipes I couldn't get an accurate ID reading with my caliper.

MP raised top ID was ~2.38 and OD was 2.82
MP IC to return plenum adapter 2.4

my return plenum has been altered and measures 2.4

Your car is already too fast, I think you need to add a couple amps and some 12 woofers with those giant magnets to get a little more weight over the rear tires :cool:

David
Scaredy Cat
scaredy-cat.jpg

Back