Loud squealing from driver side

micah_jones

I have a loud squealing noise coming from the driver side by the front wheel. It happens when I turn or when I hit a bump. What could this be? It is terrible and very loud.

I will check that. It does it even with hitting bumps. it sounds like it is coming from right behind the wheel.

Take a look at the brake pads and see if they have wear indicator clips. On the pads that have wear indicator clips the clip rubs against the rotor to let you know the brake pads need to be replaced. For cars that have them, it's not unusual when the brakes are nearly worn out for them to only squeal when turning or hitting bumps, because of the small amount of play in the wheel bearings.

Only problem is I can't remember if SC brake pads have those clips.

David

I think some of the pads come with the clips, depending on the manufacturer.

The squeal is probably coming from the brakes, but the problem may or may not lie in the brakes themselves. If your wheel bearing is going bad, it can develop enough play to let the brake pads drag against the rotor. (The pads are mounted to the caliper, the rotor is mounted to the hub. So if the bearing goes bad, they can get out of alignment.)

Mine had a LOUD squeak from the r/f wheel.

it is/was the lower ball joint. no grease fittings...dried out/rusted squeaky.

Still havent had a chance to look at this yet, I have been busy and broke. One other thing to add, is if you push down on the drivers side fender it will also squeak. It is the worst when I turn though, it does it turning either way, and the whole time I turn. Anyone else have more ideas?

I had a squeak like you describe in my 95 LX. It did it when i pressed down on it and every once in a while when driving. I replaced the upper and lower control arms and the other small piece that connects the two or whatever. I think it really was the lower one that was bad if I remember correctly and hasn't squeaked since. Your case may be different though.

+1 On the ball joints squeaking. My 95 will make like people banging on an old bed if u push the car up and down by hand or just drive normally..... Still gotta fix that annoying crap :eek:

+1 On the ball joints squeaking. My 95 will make like people banging on an old bed if u push the car up and down by hand or just drive normally..... Still gotta fix that annoying crap :eek:

Lol nice analogy, and thats just like what mine does. I will get that checked.

Back