Rad Fan check

bowez

My fan burnt up today so I ordered a new motor form Advance. Now my question is since I have a Pusher fan too (former owner installed so wire may be suspect), I connect the HI and Lo speed wires to the hot on the Pusher and call that a day (currently going by standard wire colors got HI on the power and Lo on the ground for the pusher, which make me think the pusher was never working).

Was a long day today and didn't get to pin-out the pusher nor hot wire it to double check. But to make it clear to have the pusher on all the time that the puller is on is to splice the Lo and Hi together and not use a DPDT relay. If I'm looking at the EVTM right if you do that both winding on the puller will engage at the same time.

EDIT:
Just did some checking on my pusher at its a 2-speed unit so no concerns on the wiring there, though I may be putting some relays in so not to overload the circuit.

Last edited:
No.....it is an either or situation. Either the HI is energized or the LO but not both at the same time. The design of the two speed function of the Main Coolant Fan on SC's is that the fan is started in slow then shifted to fast when conditions warrant it. The fan is NEVER started in fast. This limits the initial inrush of current that would occur if you tried to start the motor in fast.

Now with that said I am not sure what pusher fan you are using. If it is a SC Pusher then in the 94-95 SC's the fan is wired to run in slow only. The second speed is never used on a pusher fan. So you would connect hot to the LO connection and the Ground to the ground wire.

Well I did see a blue wire from the fan but I am sure it has 2 speeds and both are pushing.
Right now I'm thinking of wiring it the way it was until I get a relay, but I'll make a better decsion tomorrow when I see what the actual current is.

Well got the new fan in and now look as though the low speed relay died in the CCRM. I'm looking at getting replacement relays does anyone else want/need them?

Back