Harmonic balancer problem...need help ASAP!

MustangJake88

Guys, I need some help here. I need to get a new harmonic balancer. 3 out of 4 bolts snapped off inside my harmonic balancer which makes a puller basically useless. I already tried a puller and it did nothing. Any idea on what I can do to get it out? I am really starting to get frustrated with this car :mad:

Have you tried a three jaw puller.....:confused:
That's my last option. I wasn't able to find anyone to let me borrow theirs so tomorrow when I take the balancer pulley back to the parts store I am going to rent a three-jaw pulley and see if that works. SO LET'S PRAY!!! I wanna get this thing fixed

HOLD ON!!!

#1 when using the puller, have the crank bolt threaded in a few thread and use the bolt for the pullers bolt to push on. I compressed the first few threads on my crank the other day by not keeping the bolt in:confused: had to retap the first few... not fun.

#2 be super careful if using a 2 or 3 jaw. You can easily rip the outer ring right off the hub, if at least offcenter it. try avoiding the jaw puller if able to.

I guess you couldnt get enough leverage with just 1 bolt on the balancer puller?

man, i would try extracting at least the 1 other bolt so you can use the correct puller. good luck.

HOLD ON!!!

#1 when using the puller, have the crank bolt threaded in a few thread and use the bolt for the pullers bolt to push on. I compressed the first few threads on my crank the other day by not keeping the bolt in:confused: had to retap the first few... not fun.

#2 be super careful if using a 2 or 3 jaw. You can easily rip the outer ring right off the hub, if at least offcenter it. try avoiding the jaw puller if able to.

I guess you couldnt get enough leverage with just 1 bolt on the balancer puller?

man, i would try extracting at least the 1 other bolt so you can use the correct puller. good luck.
Yeah, what happened was I put the big bolt of the pulley puller inside of the balancer where the crank bolt threaded in and put the bolt in the only good hole on the balancer and tightened it down. I started cranking on the puller and I thought it was moving for a second and then the bolt in the balancer popped out and took the threads with it. So it's pretty much junk. I just need to get the balancer off there and put a new one on so I can sell the car. I don't have the time and money with me going to school here soon to be tinkering with any toys. I think I might pick up something decent when my first semester of school is over, preferably a 5.0 Mustang. They are easy to work on and crazy reliable.

Since the one hole is junk, just drill out the one opposite it and get some long bolts that will go all the way through and put some nuts on the back side.....Dan

Back