Manual Transmission fluid

VINCES

I was searching and reading some of the threads about manual trans fluid, and I think I am going to try the Pennzoil Synchromesh. I have a bottle of Ford modifier as well, if what i purchase doesn't already have it in it. It's getting a little hard to shift into gear, but i did rebuild the shifter about 1000 miles ago (2 years), rarely drive the car. Rebuilt the sloppy shifter right after I bought it, so hard to say if it was the shifter or not.

My question is, most of the threads that mention fluid capacity for refill, are either 3.25 or 4 qts. My 94 & 95 owners manual state 6.3 qts? I didn't think there was a difference on capacity for different years??? Or is it impossible to get all of the old fluid out?

Just wondering how much to buy...i guess i can always go back to store during refill, or biring a qt ot two back afterwards.

3.5 sounds right to me. Also, if you are going to change the fluid out, get the GM Synchromesh fluid. It is expensive, but it really does make it shift better. When I swapped it out I went from grinding 3rd gear every time to never hearing it grind again.

Mine usually takes right on 3qts as well. How many miles are on the trans? Has it ever been rebuilt, with different blockers?

I was told it was original....has almost 150k miles on it. Doesn't make any noises. newer clutch. the original blockers are fiber, correct?

It is my understanding that Pennzoil Synchromesh does not have the friction modifier in it. If you have the stock blockers or carbon fiber you need the modifier, if they are brass you do not.

I believe the book states capacity in liters. I think it said 4 liters so just over 4.2.

After seeing the other posts above it must be 3 liters.

Well the stores usually have 1 or two in stock so you have to go back the next week when they restock. Or find another store that has two extra. I would get 4qts to start the job. Return what you dont use. You will be spilling alot of fluid in the ground.

It was def not 6.3 like you mention.

Ive found it at Pepboys and Autozone in the yellow pennzoil bottle I dont think I have seen the QS branded ones yet. Only GM can get ones with friction mod but not worth it IMO. Better to buy the Pennzoil bottles and use the friction mod Ford or the Aftermarket "Equa-Torque" work just as good. Good luck.

Last edited:
If your blockers are old, you may not need the whole bottle of friction modifier, id start with 3/4 of the bottle and work up. IF you buy a fluid make sure if it has FM in it, you dont add more. With an old trans youd be overdoing it.

oh, i would have thought the same, or more? Fiber was OEM from Ford, correct? Isn't it 1oz per court.

I think it calls for a 4oz bottle in my book, im not sure. New blockers can be grabby and require more. They get old and hard over time and have less grip, so there isnt a need for more than a bottle. As long as you dont go over stock amount of FM i think youll be just fine. And when you open the bottle of friction modifier, be sure to take a big wiff of it:p

oh, i would have thought the same, or more? Fiber was OEM from Ford, correct? Isn't it 1oz per court.

Ford Friction mod is little under 4oz. The equa-torque bottle is about 4oz. There is another substitute Trans X and that is 7oz.

You should not need more then 4oz. Of the stuff.

There are three style blockers, Original Fiber ones, Brass ones, or the new Carbon Fiber ones. Original ones are the softest material and work well at slowing down things before the next shift but they are not as tough as the Carbon Fiber ones or the Brass ones. Brass ones are made for the F-150 manual trans. They are tough but shifts will be slower due to the blockers not slowing down things. All work well at a compromise.

The originals are obsolete so, YOu get to choose now from CF or Brass.

Last edited:
I just checked an online application guide that gives capacities and it claims 6.4 pints for the M5R2. So 6.3 6.4 ??

Now a question. What is this manual trans fluid from Pennzoil? Is it an ATF or more like a motor oil? :confused:

The owners manual for my 94 recommends ATF for the M5R2.

I just checked an online application guide that gives capacities and it claims 6.4 pints for the M5R2. So 6.3 6.4 ??

Now a question. What is this manual trans fluid from Pennzoil? Is it an ATF or more like a motor oil? :confused:

The owners manual for my 94 recommends ATF for the M5R2.

Yep and your owners manual was also printed in 1994. ATF will work but there are new and better things out there 16 years later. :p

Why are we still debating capacities??????? :confused: ;)

Get 4 Bottles. Chances are the 3 will not do it with the spills while filling. Its not an easy car to fill up.

Back