Clearance Issues/Rubbing I have some Questions?

PHATBRD

Hey guys I Have a dilemma...

As you know i converted to a Mustang bolt pattern and got Mustang wheels

They are 20x10 in the back and tires are 295/30/20

I know...I know to wide, but it came as a special so i could not pass off the deal:)

I have Eibach springs and Tokico shocks

So here is the deal... I now rubb the tires almost every time i go over bumps or go in and out of driveways to fast lol

I have air bags installed in springs and when they are fully inflated they clear fine but the ride is bouncy and its becoming pretty anoying especialy when it rubbs!

So I think I have couple options...

1. Get narrower tires 275's maybe (they should clear)

2. Get different springs in back (maybe SC Spring or something)

3. Roll fenders (I am not sure how that will go with the paint)

4. Get Koni adjustable's shox (so when so when i adjust them there is less travel for the tire)

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?
Any Recommedations??

THANKS!

IMG_2833.jpg

Get the hub face machined down so the wheel sits in farther, if you have enough clearance on inside of wheel.

I would roll the fender. If you heat and roll with the Eastwood roller it should be fine..Then if it does rub a bit..It wont cut tire up...Also as been said..If you can machine a bit off back that will halp

Not to hijack here Miki, but how do you like the 10in wide in the rear? I want to get my wheels ordered this week, and I love the big dish on a wide wheel. Any thoughts for me?

275's will still rub bad had them on my 92 with a 9" wheel so I would imagine that they will definitly rub on a 10" wheel! I have 9" wheel with 285's on my 95 with lift bags and they really rub with 2 people in the car but just me it has to be a big bump! I would have to say to try to get the fenders rolled...

so i found a local shop that will do rear fenders for 100 bucks

however they will not guarantee against paint cracking:(

when i mean that ride is bouncy it feels floaty in the rear
so when i go over bump it bottoms the fender into the tire...

the area that is rubbing is only .5 inch into the lip and maybe 2 inches wide

so i am going to try to roll the fender and see how that goes first

i can deflate the bags to about half to eliminate the floating feeling...

Mine feels the exact same way! Fenders are probably gonna be the only way! I wish you luck thats a pretty car and I would hate to see them mess it up! Keep us updated:cool:

Kyle

My guess is the paint will likely crack on the lip. It shouldn't be visible, but you'll need to do something to prevent future rust. They should do small increments, and they should use a heat gun on the paint at the pressure points to reduce the chance of cracking.

Not knowing the extent of the rubbing you could also consider trimming the rear lips and painting some rust preventative on the cut edge to prevent rust.

As a datapoint....I had the rear wheelwells rolled on my 92 with no paint cracking. The heat gun method using a Eatwood Roll Tool was used and it was done in small stages. But this was also with factory paint.

I had to have the lip cut off of the passenger side on my car as rolling the fender still didn't clear it enough. For some reason my rear subframe is un-centered just enough. The body shop said that if that took care of the rubbing, I should go back and they would weld a strip to reinforce the fender there. Taking that edge off there weakens the fender enough that it might flex when going down the road.

I had to have the lip cut off of the passenger side on my car as rolling the fender still didn't clear it enough. For some reason my rear subframe is un-centered just enough. The body shop said that if that took care of the rubbing, I should go back and they would weld a strip to reinforce the fender there. Taking that edge off there weakens the fender enough that it might flex when going down the road.

Mike I think all SCs have this issues where one side sticks out more then the other. Mine gets the right side always on the outside, but the left gets the inside.

Mike I think all SCs have this issues where one side sticks out more then the other. Mine gets the right side always on the outside, but the left gets the inside.

Yup I have the same problem. I'm hoping when I put this new subframe in I can center it better.

99-04 (and prob 94-98) Mustang GT's are the same way. I only noticed it when i put spacers on my girlfriends 01 and saw 1 wheels lined up nice with the quarter and the other side was still in a little.

Miki..You dont call anymore...???

As already advised many times over. Roll ya fenders proper and it should net good results.

If that dont work I would tread light on machining the mount pad of the wheel. Be sure you are not going to create a inner rub issue with the shock. Ricardo can attest to that one.

The position in the wheel well looks OK to me. What springs and shox are you running anyways??

Brad

Back