oil change mystery??

hawkins

okay i change my oil yesterday and there are NO leaks and it doesnt smoke or anything BUT all the oil dissappeared?? ~~~?? any ideas?

the motor was hot so i couldnt but hopefully its not in there, it did fine with the old oil it stayed in then i changed it and now problems, i just got the car last weekend and i have a feeling its gonna be a money pit

mmm

can't happen just like that...... heres what could happen

forgot to put oil

forgot to put the oli drain plug back in?

for got to put the oil filter?

were did you put the oil to fill the engine??

if you run it with out oil then.... hopefully is not the bad ... but could cause severe damage ... good luck ......;)

okay i change my oil yesterday and there are NO leaks and it doesnt smoke or anything BUT all the oil dissappeared?? ~~~?? any ideas?

All dissapeared or just not showing up on the dipstick ? BTW, it's not uncommon for the end of the dipstick to break off.

David

yes i put it all in and plug and filter and dipstick isnt broke and its not in the radiator so apparently it has a leak that i cant find but the only known leak is power steering fluid but i dunno i checkd it again and it returned so i dunno apparentlyn it takes a while for it all to go back to the pan well longerf than i expected hell i waited ten minutes after shutting it off ,

Swing by Saturday morning and we will take a look at it!

CAREFUL driving or even running it.

yes i put it all in and plug and filter and dipstick isnt broke and its not in the radiator so apparently it has a leak that i cant find but the only known leak is power steering fluid but i dunno i checkd it again and it returned so i dunno apparentlyn it takes a while for it all to go back to the pan well longerf than i expected hell i waited ten minutes after shutting it off ,
Dude, if you don't see oil on the dipstick as soon as the engine stops, then you are way low. At this point, I'd add 1 quart of oil, check the diptick. If you still don't see it, I'd add another 1/2 qt and check again. Repeat until you see oil. I'd also throw a piece of cardboard under the car so that you can see any new leaks while you are pouring the oil.

Here's another though, are you sure you are checking the oil dipstick and not the transmission dipstick?

that is almost impossible. the holes for the oil to drain back to the sump are huge and are almost (not completly though) impossible to plug up all them. if you dont have oil on dipstick then you are low.

did you fill the oil through the pass side valve cover? just a question we had a customer fill her over flow tank with engine oil because she thought it was low. ha ha ha

the car holds what five quarts or so of oil. if you lost even one quart it will still show up on dipstick as low. plus if you lost a quart of oil (just using this as an example) it would make quite a mess. and there would be oil covering the majority of the bottom of the engine and car.

drain the oil out of the sump (oil pan) into a clean container and measure what comes out.

but untill you figure this out dont drive the car.

also does the oil pressure guage come up to normal in the dash when car is running. if you lost all the oil then the guage should not show pressure for long. also I would imagine the motor being pretty loud and rattily without oil.

thats a good possibility but like he said in first post there is no leak. if that was the case there would be oil dripping off of everything under car.

If running a heavy oil like 20w50 it will take a while to all run back to the pan, but 10w40 or lighter weights should drain to the pan very quickly.

David

which hole did you put the oil in? did the cap where you put the oil in say anything on it?

Never check the oil after the engine has been run. Always check it in the morning before you start it. Typically that will show a 1/4 to 1/2 quart difference in oil level depending on viscosity once the engine has been run.

The power steering leak is probably also an oil leak at the filter. The oil cooler will often leak if the filter is overtightened. When you overtighten the filter the oil cooler will be damaged permanently and will evermore tend to leak. Since the filter and the powersteering pump are in the same location, it is near impossible to tell the difference between a PS leak and an oil filter/cooler leak.

this happened to me and the dipstick tube separated and the dipstick wasnt making it in the oil pan it was sliding down next to the engine

Back