wont idle

msm

just got my first sc . and the problem i have is that it wants to start but wont idle . if i crank it over it will start but then die . if i start it and give it about 1/4 to 1/2 peddle it revs real high and as soon as i take my foot off of the go pedle it dies. any ideas cuz i know nothing of this car. im more into the lincoln mark 7 's .

all vac lines are good . i looked for cracks none to be found . so what else could it be? i was told maybe the ecm. if it was the ecm how can i keep it running when i play with the throttle?

vac lines are not the only sources of vac leaks, you also have sc top, piping, intercooler, plenum, intake, egr, canister, etc...

could be a bad iac valve

check back behind the valve cover on the passenger side there is a hose back there that fell off on me. You have to remove the blower and throttle body to get to it.

im getting ready to take off the pipeing and top of the charger to get a better look. i did notice a plug that wasnt connected to anything its gray with an oval 3 pin female plug. it was dead center laying on top of the trans .what is it ? ( i know i should show you guys and pic )

Is the car a 1990 automatic? If so, it is probably a plug for an EGR part which did not come on that particular model. The manual transmission 1990 did have EGR, though.

it is an 90 anni with auto . im just running out of ideas . i did check the fuel pressure and its around 40-42 psi . is there anything else i could be missing? i know that my 5.0 lincoln mark 7 needs some back pressure is it also true for the bird sc cuz somebody cut both pipes after the cats on this one ? any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I have exact same car...

Welcome!
The best way to chase down vac leaks is to remove the wipers and the cowl.
I replaced all the vac lines and fittings back there with new.
If you can't get it to idle there are many sensors that cause problems.
Do a KOEO test, use search here you will find all the info you need to get it right.

paul

Back