Double IC vs FMIC?

T-bird Tim

I currently am running a doubli IC with fan. Thinking of going with the FMIC from SCP. I know there are those on here that have done this; just wandering is there a noticeable enough difference in power to warrant spending the money on the FMIC. I will upgrade to the MPX and 85mm T-body along with all the under/overdrive pulleys later. Am currently running a s-port blower and MP plenum with 76mm t-body. Will also upgrade the injectors from 38 to 42 pounders. Everything else, (block and heads) I am going to leave stock. Also am running long tube headers and the SCP exhaust.

I currently am running a doubli IC with fan. Thinking of going with the FMIC from SCP. I know there are those on here that have done this; just wandering is there a noticeable enough difference in power to warrant spending the money on the FMIC. I will upgrade to the MPX and 85mm T-body along with all the under/overdrive pulleys later. Am currently running a s-port blower and MP plenum with 76mm t-body. Will also upgrade the injectors from 38 to 42 pounders. Everything else, (block and heads) I am going to leave stock. Also am running long tube headers and the SCP exhaust.

i recommend getting the 60lb injectors. they can be turned back and then you'll never have to get bigger injectors again. Dave Dalke has a great deal on them.
this is in my opinion but here it is, if your going to use that big of a tb and are at the point of needing fmic then you need to get some head work done.

as for the duel ic vs fmic, i have no experience with fmic but i will say i never here of anyone being concerned over ACT that got the fmic. so as far as it being worth it, well its more is it worth it to you. if i had the extra cash atm i would get it.

I suggest going to a minimum of 50lb injectors if you're going to an MPX and larger MAF/TB.

As for the FMIC vs DBL, I'll give you my reasons for and against switching (still running the DBL on mine).

Pro FMIC
1. DBL is a pain to reinstall/reseal if you have to take it out for any reason.
NOTE: After about a year of use, I don't think those teflon IC gaskets work worth a darn.
2. Ease of removing IC tubes for things like changing plugs.
3. I have to unbolt my upper tube-to-IC retainer when I have to change my main acc belt (due to UD pulleys).
4. Will likely keep your ACTs lower when you're at the track/less heat soak.

Pro DBL
1. You'll likely run hotter coolant temps with a FMIC.
2. You can keep your stock style radiator , fan and upper IC tube. :D
3. MP costs the same as 3-4 DBL's.

I'd wait until you get some datalogs of your ACT on the dyno or real-world driving before investing the cash in a FMIC. You may find that your DBL is more than fine for your intended use of the car.

From what I've been reading unless your road racing or have the boost way up there, there is no real benefit to the FMIC. Driving around town and 1/4mile runs the DIC has time to dissipate most the heat.

I agree with everyone...I am going through this right now with my SC...fully built engine, cam, head work, MPx and all MP parts, 60lb injectors...

I decided to try to go cheaper on my IC and tried to make a custom FMIC...bad idea wish I had at least a KW DIC :(

My FMIC even has dual 1800cfm fans on it and it cant get my temps low enough.

I agree and say stick with DIC and see what happens then upgrade if needed...you'll need cam and head work with an MPx.

MPX works great on a stock motor if you keep the OD to no more than 15%. But you'll run out of injectors at 15%. Might as well get 60's and be done with it.

I currently have a double IC and I have an IAT gauge.
A double intercooler will start to build heat above 55mph. The reason for this is most likely the air has a difficult time passing through the thicker core at higher speeds. I will be switching to a FMIC in the next couple weeks...........

I
I decided to try to go cheaper on my IC and tried to make a custom FMIC...bad idea wish I had at least a KW DIC

Well, if you think your idea is bad then I guess you think mine is also.....I don't. I'm still waiting on a tune so I haven't been able to monitor the air inlet temps with my new gauge at WOT's. Just riding around near the house the air temps are right above ambient but the real test will be the hard acceleration.....soon......soon.

So ............... when are we going to the dragstrip again?

As soon as I'm tuned up.................:rolleyes:

Finding a tuner around here is like finding snow at the Equator.....it seems.......:eek:
Brent at DTP is suppose to be getting together a base file, he asked for my calibration code on my EEC. That's been a week ago and I haven't heard back from him. I was trying to get some files from some other SCT tuners with sc experience to send to him but no one will come off anything. So that's where I stand.

Last edited:
I currently have a double IC and I have an IAT gauge.
A double intercooler will start to build heat above 55mph. The reason for this is most likely the air has a difficult time passing through the thicker core at higher speeds. I will be switching to a FMIC in the next couple weeks...........

Thats in your mustang.... I've got 100's of datalogs that prove otherwise in the TBird when things are sealed up right. I've consistently, even with 10 back to back runs have seen an average of 25F temp increases, and temps leveling off at around 60mph NOT increasing.

Please, lets keep things apples to apples here (no offence hopefully)

Fraser

Well, if you think your idea is bad then I guess you think mine is also.....I don't. I'm still waiting on a tune so I haven't been able to monitor the air inlet temps with my new gauge at WOT's. Just riding around near the house the air temps are right above ambient but the real test will be the hard acceleration.....soon......soon.

Driving around my hourse with a DIC I had temps at ambient :cool:...

Fraser

Thats in your mustang.... I've got 100's of datalogs that prove otherwise in the TBird when things are sealed up right. I've consistently, even with 10 back to back runs have seen an average of 25F temp increases, and temps leveling off at around 60mph NOT increasing.

Please, lets keep things apples to apples here (no offence hopefully)

Fraser

I was just posting my experience with a double IC. I know the air flow in the front on a Mustang is different then a Tbird. I am using a 94/95 SC radiator in my Mustang. The front end is fairly well sealed. I have a IAT temp gauge with in my sight when driving at all times. I have also noted another Major disadvantage of using a double IC in a stock IC tubing setup, in a drag racing situation. While waiting in the staging lanes the factory IC pipes become heat soaked from heat transferred from the engine. I can enter the staging lanes with 74 degree IAT temp and when I make it to the water box (pushing the car during staging) the IAT will be at 109 degrees without the engine running. Then from the water box to the staging lights, the system does not completely recover.

It seems to me that a FMIC is inherently isolated from a lot of engine heat due to silicone couplers.

Would you think wrapping the lower tube with header tape would reduce alot of the heat soak from the headers? I assume thats where most of it comes from.

Back