Check out control arms

mkbrower

Hi, I just got my new control arms from rockauto. I ordered the "professional" grade arms made by Raybestos. I have rebuilt front ends before but was not expecting what I saw. One of the arms was massive. One arm was the same as all the others I have seen before. I called Rock Auto to try to get the more heavier duty UCA. One of the parts is the wrong part, I don't know which. Look at the photos and tell me what you think or if this has happened to you in the past. The dimensions of both arms are the same with the exception of the size of ball joint and the thickness of the steel.

Thanks
Mark

cont1.jpg

cont2.jpg

I know the left one will work and is the same one I have replaced about a dozen times through the years. I guess I have the male mentality that "bigger is better" so if the one arm is bigger it must be better and stronger.

However, I know that bigger is not always better and was wondering, if the bigger arm will work, why not use it.

If its not made for the tbird, and it is a better part, I need to find what car it fits and order those from now on.

Does the right one in the picture FIT?
Is it the same dimensions?
How much is the weight difference?
Does it rub anywhere?

Let us know.

I changed out the control arm with the heavy duty arm and everything seems fine. Everything slipped right into place with no forcing. The camber does not appear to have changed using my camber gauge and the car drove without any unusual noise or handling.

There is about 2lb difference in weight

Mark

I changed out the control arm with the heavy duty arm and everything seems fine. Everything slipped right into place with no forcing. The camber does not appear to have changed using my camber gauge and the car drove without any unusual noise or handling.

There is about 2lb difference in weight

Mark

i would use it

i must have miss understood what you asked thought you asked what one looks like the right one. so you could send the wrong back.

My first post was a little confusing. I didn't know if anyone else ordered the "professional grade" part and got the large one or the small one. Never have seen the large one or heard the term "professional grade" untill I ordered these. Never have read anything in the forums either.

Mark

Usually the sealed ball joints are the low friction units and aftermarket standard are generally the greasable ones from my experience in the past

I got the skinny on the control arms. According to Raybestos, the larger arm is a new design manufactured by Raybestos. The smaller arm was outsourced from a different manufacturer and will still be sold until all current stock is gone. Now I have a problem. I don't really want to put different control arms on my car and Rock auto cannot guarantee the newer part. Does anyone know of a different auto parts dealer that sells Raybestos chassis parts?

Mark

The arms fail at the joint and/or bushings, not at the steel arm. The increased thickness is irrelevant.

Thomas

What is relevent is that it looks like the "professional grade" control arm has a pressed in, greaseable ball joint vs. the usual non-replaceable, non-greaseable ball joint.

Looks like a nice piece.

Back