oil leak

flopes64

I am a newbie having nothing but problems. I have a 1990 sc with 120,000. I bought the car the guy told me he replaced the head gasketts I have an oil leak to the 5th power i noticed that the oil is leaking somewhere underneath and it is coming down in this pattern any ideas before i go crazy X= Oil spots size of dime

x ---------- x

------x

x------------x

Last edited:
If you smell oil burning when the car is running you need to check the valve covers.they have a tendency to work loose from time to time. if you don't smell oil then it's probably from under the car either your main seals or your oilpan. get the jack and look. a car with 120,000 miles and leaks a little oil is not uncommon...BIll

Hey, I have an oil leak I believe is comming from the head cover and is leaking onto my starter. Also there is a rubber plate/cover between the back of the oil pan and transmission, is that supposed to be attached to the metal or open and hanging loose? Is it a seal of some kind? Oil seems to be leaking from there also. Car has 139000mi and I don't smell burning oil at all. Only 1-2 small drops are on the ground and there are oil droplets clinging to the bottom of the pan, transmission and transmission fluid pan. Normal or no? Thanks.

klsoneSC

well

klsoneSC

That rubber seal is to seal the area to the converter. No it is supposed to be hooked up in there. If oil seems to be there. Well it could be valve cover, oil pan, rear main seal and finally the intake manifold. You will have to take some kind of carb or brake cleaner and try to clean up what runny oil there is to get an idea of where it is coming from or buy a small auto mirror to look arround th motor and under neath to where you can't see to get an idea.

flopes64

Well you are going to have to take some cleaner like brake or carb cleaner and try to spray it where it is wet with oil. this will dry the oil if it doesn't spray it agian. Then run vehicle and see try to see where it is leaking from. The valve covers can leak from the back to side to front. So you will also see if you can get underneath the car safely and try to see if you can see where the oil is leaking from.

hey all keep us informed what what you find this helps us help others by the advice we give it betters are intellegence of these cars and what problems that are common.

I hope this helps

Raymond

The oil-cooler is also another potential source of leaks. What type of oil does the car currently use, and what type did it use in the past?

I finally cleaned and checked the engine for where the leak was coming out it looks like it is definitly coming from the valve covers it seems more from the passenger side than the drivers side but who knows ! Does anyone have any detailed info on how to replace the gaskets on a 90 sc let me know thanks for all the help!!!!

I think you might have success if you just tighten them up some; most of us have had to do this before and in my case, it fixed the leak without having to replace the gasket. :)

Back