93 sc running issues

chis93sc

Hey all. I am having some problems with my 93 sc. I cant seem to get the car to run in boost for long. before it would only run in vac and would even die often just idling. swapped out the fuel pump relay and took off the screamin demon coil which had a a dark brown burn inside one of the plug wire holes and the actual wire itself was burnt too. took it out for a run with the stock coil and it ran fine until high rpm boost. It just cuts out and wouldn't start again. I have a second coil that I am putting on right now but What other problems could cause the car to miss and cutout. I've been looking into everything

Anyone have ideas. I think I have narrowed it to the fuel pump which I will try to replace today but the car wont even get to boost before it cuts out and it wont start back up for about an hour or two after.

no vacuum leaks?

Are you sure there are no vac leaks...if it dies at idle that would be my guess, but the other stuff maybe plugs and wires would do it, fuel pump is not so easy to do I hear, have to drop the tank and all that. you should probably do the easy stuff first, check for any stored codes. If it kills it while running check the harmonic balancer...are you getting any weird tach readings or any lights coming on when it starts dying?

As far as i can tell there are no vac leaks. it normally runs fine at idle but every now and then it will just die. when it starts to buck the tach jumps around between 0rpm and wherever the rpms were at when it started. As for the fuel pump I'm already in the process of replacing it, it is a ~~~~ when you do it by yourself

Sounds to me more like a bad crank sensor or a bad harmonic balancer based on what you describe.

-Tim

You think? Ill look into diagnosing that, I was hoping it was just the fuel pump. I guess its a good thing we have a spare wrecked 93 sc parts car

Yeah I have a good feeling that that is the issue. I would just swap the pulleys and dampers out with my other 93sc parts car but I read that they wont last unless you get a new damper, bolt, and pulley. I'd rather just do it once the right way.

the tach signal comes from the cam sensor and is rendered by the external tfi module (as we call it the "DIS MODULE") and then delivered to the gauge in the cluster

i would probably say the DIS is crapping out on you

Back