"clunkity clunk" in rear of 92SC

Darth

I realize this is next to impossible to diagnose without seeing the car, but I have a clunking sound when driving the car over very slightly rough roads. It sounds like it is coming from the rear. With the car up on a hoist, I cannot find anything! Exhaust is not hitting anything. All the rear suspension bushings appear good and tight. I even checked the spare tire and jack. Also checked the upper shock mounts (still have the adjustable ride control shocks, but they feel good and "firm" vs "normal" appears to have no effect). This has been going on for about a year. Driving me crazy.

First thing that I thought of, since you mentioned rough roads is a broken spring. But then again, that's more of a slight pop rather than clunk.

-Corey

Yep I agree with sway bar end link bushings. I had the same problem with the 95 SC and replaced them and it fixed it. Easy to do too!

the only probs i ever had in 250k miles was bottom shock mount rubber missing
or loose axle nut

I realize this is next to impossible to diagnose without seeing the car, but I have a clunking sound when driving the car over very slightly rough roads. It sounds like it is coming from the rear. With the car up on a hoist, I cannot find anything! Exhaust is not hitting anything. All the rear suspension bushings appear good and tight. I even checked the spare tire and jack. Also checked the upper shock mounts (still have the adjustable ride control shocks, but they feel good and "firm" vs "normal" appears to have no effect). This has been going on for about a year. Driving me crazy.

I've been having the exact same problem with my car. I thought it was the exhaust too so i jacked it up and checked myself and couldn't find anything. My car has only been making that sound for the past month.

is it an auto or manual? i had some clunking from my 90 sc manual that also sounded like it was from the rear end, come to find out it was a torn motor mount.

Changed both rear wheel bearings less than a year ago. Don't think there is any rear struts on the 92SC. New motor mounts. Checked the rear amp mounting.

Sounds like rear shock mounts to me too, but I can't find any problems with them. It is primarily on the left rear. I have had it on the hoist a dozen time, prying, wiggling, etc. I even checked the tightness on the rear wheel bearing nut yesterday.

shock bushings.....They make lots of noise when they go..Sway bar bushings...Just a lil..If its a LOUD clunk....It may be a diff issue..Look underneath..Should be obvious

shock bushings.....They make lots of noise when they go..Sway bar bushings...Just a lil..If its a LOUD clunk....It may be a diff issue..Look underneath..Should be obvious

It is not obvious. As I said, I have had it on the hoist (frame hoist) dozens of times, prodding, prying, etc. I can't make it make the noise from underneath. Also, cannot make it make the noise by bouncing the car when it is on the ground. Only driving.

I had a lower loose shock mounting bolt that caused it on mine. If the bolt has rust powder showing around the nut or bolt head, it's loose. I also had a loose subframe body bolt once that made a clunk, but that was going around corners. It was the cheapest nonwarranty repair I ever had at a Ford dealer, $32 for 1/2 hr labor to retighten all 4 bolts!

I had a lower loose shock mounting bolt that caused it on mine. If the bolt has rust powder showing around the nut or bolt head, it's loose. I also had a loose subframe body bolt once that made a clunk, but that was going around corners. It was the cheapest nonwarranty repair I ever had at a Ford dealer, $32 for 1/2 hr labor to retighten all 4 bolts!

Interesting. One symptom that I didn't mention was going around a hard bend, something would "crack", and then it would do it again, the next time I go around the opposite turn. I didn't think this had anything to do with the clunkity clunk, but it is another thing to check.

Found it

Turns out it wasn't obvious with the car on a frame hoist (wheels hanging down). The lower shock mounts where worn with the steel insert loose in the rubber.

Not being able to find new replacements, I took some large washers that fit over the steel insert (which protrudes slightly beyond the rubber) and placed them on either side of the mount. This caused the rubber to be squeezed when tightening the bolt.

Now my rattles are all in the front and not near as bad. Already has new front bushings and new engine mounts. Found the front wheel well liners were loose (fixed with new sheet metal screws) and some rattling of the front bumper cover (got a new/old one, but it needs to be stripped and painted white). Nothing else obvious yet.

Back