Tackling the dreaded head gaskets!

BLKBRD

Drained all of the old oil and started removing and tagging parts.

Pulled battery.
Pull Air box and tube. Labeled vacuum line.
Removed upper radiator hose.

Here is where it gets fun. Decided to take the hood off to remove the cowl. Drivers side bolts broke loose. Top passenger side bolt caused the torx bit to snap off flush in the bolt.

An suggestions to the best way to get the broken torx bit out?

I will be updating this with many more questions and progress.

First off, don't remove hood......:p

Remove the plastic cowling and the hood should rise enough to be out of the way....

Remove the plastic cowling and the hood should rise enough to be out of the way....

I didn't really want to remove the hood. I just wanted to remove the wiper arms and the cowl but the arms hit the hood before they came back far enough to disengage the lock.

i LOVE my car.....:D

one of them you remove with the hood up, and one of them with the hood down.......................

one of them you remove with the hood up, and one of them with the hood down.......................

Thanks!

I will try that tomorrow. I tried the drivers side with the hood up and couldn't seem to get it far enough back to engage the lock. Is there any special puller that will remove the arm in case I can't get it to give enough?

Turn the wipers on and when they are vertical, turn the ignition switch off. Lift the wiper arms and use a screw driver to engage the lock. After you get the wipers off the shaft, turn off the ignition switch and then the wipers. If you already removed the battery, hook it up temporarily.

Mark

I took my hood off when I did headgaskets. I actually think it made things a lot easier. Much more room. I would have leaned it back against the windshield (with a block of wood in-between), but I didn't have the height clearance to fold it back. :p (In my garage with shelving hanging down from the ceiling). If you dont take the hood off, I'd at least recommend folding it back. It also provides a whole lot of extra light.

I doubt you could pull the wiper arm off without pulling it up all the way. That plate that slides under the wiper shaft is pretty beefy. The arm is flexible, just flex it a bit and use a small bladed standard screwdriver to help move the plate out to lock the arm up.

to get the tip of the bit out, tap the center with a small center punch or drift to loosen it and then use a pick to pull it out. You need some high quality torx bits to loosen those bolts. The cheap ones will just break off. Even the good ones may twist a bit.

good luck.

I took my hood off when I did headgaskets. I actually think it made things a lot easier. Much more room. I would have leaned it back against the windshield (with a block of wood in-between), but I didn't have the height clearance to fold it back. :p (In my garage with shelving hanging down from the ceiling). If you dont take the hood off, I'd at least recommend folding it back. It also provides a whole lot of extra light.

Thanks this clicked a light on in my head.

I'm going to unhook the hood shocks and flip the hood back enough to give me the clearance to take the blades off. Problem solved I hope and I don't have to remove the hood.

Now thats thinking outside the box.....:D

Sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake. It's been many years since I have wrenched on cars. Spent many years wrenching on Harley's.

I'll get back into the swing of things. Just going to take many, many pictures, label everything and write it all down so I know where I have been and where I am going. :)

ive been doing mine on my 1990 with 110k miles , first eve involved removing plugwires alternator power sterring and ac and intercooler tubes , second eve involved taking off sc and throttle body and rear intake third eve i took out plugs and exhaust manifold bolts , and thats where im at this eve, my other tbird went to 205k before the eadgasket went both on number 3 . my hood or winshield wipers never bothered me i never had the wipers apart i worked around them didnt see a problem with that

Last edited:
I am about to do mine ... just can't get the weather and my schedule to agree!

You know, I think there are at least 5 board members whose cars are down with blown head gaskets right now. I am pretty sure that the cold snap right at the end of January pushed mine over the edge. I wonder if we should start a support group just for us? :p

Anyway, I had my car mostly apart this summer. There are really just a few tricky bolts. Getting the PS pump bracket off can be tricky the first time. Also the bolts that hold the fuel rail and coolant tubes to the back of the head. The coolant tube running through the throttle body can be a little annoying to reach. Also the upper stud that holds the lower IC tube on. And the studs that mount the exhaust manifolds to the the downtubes. Other than those, it's pretty straightforward.

Keep the tips and suggestions coming.

Unfortunately no work got done on the bird yesterday. I had to fix my Family/DD. Dang bad tie rod bushings. Made it feel like the car was going to vibrate right out of my hand. Good thing it was a cheap and fairly easy fix.

Hoping back to the bird this evening.

thankfully, i recently did my exhaust, cleaned the manifold studs and put SS nuts on them... the mounting stud for the lower IC tube is best accessed with the PS pump out of the way, its a piece of cake then, the you just lift the tube out.

ps pump bracket bolt behind the pulley is cake with a couple swivels and a good deep well socket.

also, i move to create a 'headgaskets' forum... those that are part of the HG club are invited :) so we can share in others misery too... ;)

EDIT: also a tip for the upper IC tube, take the battery out of the tray, and unbolt the fuse box and move it out of the way. gives you tons more room. fuse box is one 8mm bolt on the fenderwell, then cock the wheel and under the fender liner are two more 10mm nuts.

Last edited:
thankfully, i recently did my exhaust, cleaned the manifold studs and put SS nuts on them... the mounting stud for the lower IC tube is best accessed with the PS pump out of the way, its a piece of cake then, the you just lift the tube out.

ps pump bracket bolt behind the pulley is cake with a couple swivels and a good deep well socket.

also, i move to create a 'headgaskets' forum... those that are part of the HG club are invited :) so we can share in others misery too... ;)

That made me LOL! :D

hmm. wonder if duff is paying attention? maybe have the definitive headgasket thread? all in favour of a sticky, say aye!

(promise, i'm not trying to start a revolt ;))

Back