AAA members and towing costs

Tony8470

I've been thinking for awhile of getting AAA. I just never get around to it.

I have the engine apart on the SC and I need to get it moved a few hundred miles for some machine work, etc. I saw they have a permier membership that will tow up to 200 miles. Don't know the cost of it yet. Has anyone done something like this? Or know a towing service that will do it at a competing rate?

I don't think AAA will tow a car that doesn't have an engine in it.....

Get a dolly and do it yourself....

Called a local wrecker and they wanted 600+tolls to get it moved ~150 miles. The premier AAA was quoted 125 for me. But I guess when you add a person like you did Ryan, it goes up a few bucks. The dispatcher said it did not have to be an emergency to get it moved. I was not aware of the car not having a motor not being able to be moved. I'm going to give them a call about that tomorrow. I do have the short block in there still.

I never towed anything before and the jeep isn't exactly a prime candidate with 160,000 miles on it. I worked at Uhaul in high school. Their maintenance and customer service was sub-par, at best. Not willing to risk the SC dependent on rental equipment.

If they say they will tow it without it being an emergency, then they don't care if it has a motor or not. You can ask them that specifically, but I'm pretty sure that would be the case. Note you only get one 200mile tow per year, and it takes 7 days to take affect when you sign up.

You should also expect to have a good tip for the tow truck driver doing the tow so s/he takes good care.

Back