Issue after head gasket replacement

the-big-e

This has happened every time after I've done a HG job.....

You crank the engine up and let it idle for a while to warm up....

Then you crack the throttle open and rev up to 3500 rpms a few times.....

When you let off the throttle, the rpms drop (under 500 rpms) and the engine stumbles a bit then returns to a normal smooth idle.....

They all seem to do this for a few days then the stumbling goes away....

Is this the computer "re-learning"....:confused:

no, that would probably be the head gaskets moving around and sealing

why would you rev an engine after replacing the head gaskets?

I usually take it easy on the engine for a full tank then i change the oil and never look back :eek:

yea anytime the battery is unhooked it will do that a few days till it learns

If the engine can't run properly after a KAM reset of the computer, then there is problems, and the adaptive learning is masking it.....

Fraser

Is this maybe why my car is having a hell of a time idling at the initial start up? I did motor mounts today, and had the battery out for probably 6 hours... But give it a minute and the idle is steady....?

at first i thought i had a problem but i knew all i did was replace the battery , and it was fine before that .
and it would idle ok then i would come to a stop sign and it would act up or stall . after about 3 days it would learn to idle right again , as long as your memory fuse is good under the hood . one time i unpugged the mass air flow and it idled at 2000 for a week i thought it would learn but it never did till i unhooked the battery to reset it

Last edited:
if your memory fuse is blowed under the hood it will never learn to idle and the radio or clock wont work

Back