aod

anlo

will an aod from a 1993 lx make a suitable replacement on my 1990 sc.? are there any differences?
and for a final word on removal of transmission i gathered you must drop exhaust and / or gas tank/rear end? since i need to replace fuel pump i have already purchased just been unsure how to start that process i may elect to drop tank. i guess i need someone to agree with me so i know im on the right track???[

Will the LX AOD hold up to the SC's torque? If you get the AOD from a 5.0 'Bird, you should be OK but not sure about the 3.8's.

Exhaust has to come down, but don't entirely remember about the gas tank. But if you've got a new fuel pump to install, you may as well just do it then since you're already halfway there.

-Melon

i remember when i installed a V8 bird trans in my car and it worked just fine. it felt like the car had taller gears tho i doubt it.

only thing i needed to switch was the linkage,which is inside the trans and is really easy. just make sure the trans is the same length and the tail looks the same. i had got an aod that didnt match nothing..

i was told then that the aod in a 3.8 wont hold up to the power of a sc motor.

but the v8s could hold up to the power.

The aod's from the v8's and the v6's are not the same as the aod used in the SC's. The only aod's built the same as the sc one is the ones from the trucks which also used the A Servo. The v8's got the B servo and the v6's got the C servo and had less clutches.

Fraser

i had an AOD with a B servo in my car for a little while. after 3,000 miles it was junk. so i had one rebuilt for under 1000 dollars and had the upgraded 2" over drive band installed. havn't had a problem since except for the pump took a dump on me and the shop replaced it for free even after my warranty was up

I also understand that the SC AOD has 6 clutches and the LX version has only 5. I thought the valve bodies were the same.

aod replace

now im kinda freaked out very limited budget to get her back on the road not enough to purchase a rebuild. so i must play russian roulette at the bone yard but i want to get the right replacement as there are no sc 's around how about mark viii or what other choices do i have

now im kinda freaked out very limited budget to get her back on the road not enough to purchase a rebuild. so i must play russian roulette at the bone yard but i want to get the right replacement as there are no sc 's around how about mark viii or what other choices do i have

At least try to get an aod from a v8 tbird from 89 or newer until you can afford to do something with a proper setup...

You are playing russian roulette anyway with trans from the scrap yard.

Fraser

At least try to get an aod from a v8 tbird from 89 or newer until you can afford to do something with a proper setup...

You are playing russian roulette anyway with trans from the scrap yard.

Fraser

this is what i did with mine.. while the other got rebuilt. tho that rebuilt one went back to the shop 10times to the point they keep my car till it was right.. i ended up with a whole different case, and from what the builder told me a solid input shape. who knows......:eek:

the v8trans will work just for how long who knows. if you baby the car it could last if you hit boost every day. i doubt it.....;)

ok

-well the info here really points to a rebuild of my trans.as the only thing wrong with it is the overdrive is gone. i cant find anything lower than $$1200
for a rebuild. however i may ask the price of rebuild only i will pull it and re install. i figure labor is a large chunk of the 1200.00.but i have gathered if i go the junk yard route stay with 89-93 v-8 birds. you guys have never steered me wrong and saved me a bunch of money over the years so thanks
on the fuel pump replacement job i am going to tackle it sunday
after inspection it looks like the heat shield over the exhaust must be removed or do you just unstrap it and drop it also how many hoses/wires are involved on top of tank??

servo

could i put my existing sevo into the lx v6 trans? im sure it would have been mentioned if feasible??

The na v6 trans had less frictions. IMO even the stock SC trans at this time is crap. They haven't been built for almost 20 years so even a low mileage unit will have dried out seals. Installation of an A servo and a 2 inch band with a better reverse drum setup is critical to making one survive. Best case scenario you find a used one that was rebuilt recently and it may last a year or so. These SC engines make more torque at low rpms than the 5.0 liter engines did and most have 2.73 or 3.08 gears making them run at very low rpms when cruising on the highway. This is where the A servo comes into play. Without it the overdrive band will slip and fry under light boost.
Alan

done deAL

well thats it rather than fool with all the head aches ill just tough it out and save up for a rebuild of my trans and the upgrades. theres too many variables for failure the other way. finding someone who knows what the hell they are doing with this breed will be the trick.however i will change the tie rods and fuel pump this weekend thanks alan for being the deciding factor....
todd

Alan is dead on accurate...however it never ceases to amaze me at how quickly people will take on the job of modifying and building a high performance engine and run away with their tails tucked at the mention of overhauling an automatic transmission....Plus the cost of building a real solid transmission is 1/4 the cost of even a mild rebuild on an engine. You don't have to do any design of the transmission just replace the parts that are worn and go on down the road. Even a high performance rebuild can be held under a grand and involves very little rocket science. Just a general refresh is under 200 in parts................Dan

Back