Bubbles in expansion tank

Fastbull

SCCoA Member
Is there any other reason other than blown head gaskets that there would be bubbles in the expansion tank? Just put this car back together finnaly after 6 months because of head gaskets and dont want to do it again. Thanks.

-Matt

Squeeze the upper radiator hose and see if air bubbles form in the expansion tank. If so, then it's likely the radiator cap. Otherwise, you might have a cracked head or a tiny leak somewhere in the head gasket seal that's allowing combustion gases pass into the water jacket.

I had leaking headgaskets once that shot air in the cooling system only under hard acceleration/high boost

Is there any other reason other than blown head gaskets that there would be bubbles in the expansion tank? Just put this car back together finnaly after 6 months because of head gaskets and dont want to do it again. Thanks.

-Matt

didn't you surface the heads and get the pressure checked? its worth ever penny.

Heads were not resurfaced but were checked and found to be straight by a machine shop. Could it just need a couple of warm up cool down cycles? Just let it idle up to operating temp for a second time was doing it at first and then stopped. Its running pretty smooth other than an occasional slight miss probably from 6 month old gas.

-Matt

Heads were not resurfaced but were checked and found to be straight by a machine shop. Could it just need a couple of warm up cool down cycles? Just let it idle up to operating temp for a second time was doing it at first and then stopped. Its running pretty smooth other than an occasional slight miss probably from 6 month old gas.

-Matt

i had thought my gaskets were also leakin after i installed my motor..

only thing i can say is run it for a little and watch it close(check oil to make sure it dont get coolant) make sure the over flow bottle is topped off for when it cools it will suck that coolant back in.

it did take a while to get my air out.

I've let it idle for about 15 minutes three times now cooling down in between. Its no longer doing it so hopefully new gaskets just needed to settle. At work all weekend I'll try driving it on Monday. Thanks for the replies.

-Matt

Back