engine temperature

Brad2296

what is the proper, or ideal engine/water temperature? i have a 160 stat in my car, and whenever I see my temp gauge go over 180, I get pretty nervous.

in the 89 to 91 tbirds 160 runs great , i think in the newer 93 up 160 may hurt
the way the computer is designed but never had newer than 1990 so not sure

Under normal driving conditions when the outside temps are between say 50-80 my '95 runs between 180 and 195 most of the time. 180° thermostat and the fan starts up at 192°.

Ira

Well my car is a 92. All the internals and gaskets are still stock. I'm pretty sure the HG's have never been replaced, atleast I dont have any paperwork of it from the previous owner. I've got 10% on it, a CAI, and a full exhaust. My stock fan took a dump, so ive got an after market one on there with the probe you stick into the Rad. and have it set to come on at a specific degree. I have mine set to 160, as with the stat. The hottest i've had it get to was just under 210...according to my gauge (autometer) Is there anything I should be getting concerned about? I dont have any bubbles in the over flow, nor any excessive white smoke, or "sweet" exhaust scent.

Well my car is a 92. All the internals and gaskets are still stock. I'm pretty sure the HG's have never been replaced, atleast I dont have any paperwork of it from the previous owner. I've got 10% on it, a CAI, and a full exhaust. My stock fan took a dump, so ive got an after market one on there with the probe you stick into the Rad. and have it set to come on at a specific degree. I have mine set to 160, as with the stat. The hottest i've had it get to was just under 210...according to my gauge (autometer) Is there anything I should be getting concerned about? I dont have any bubbles in the over flow, nor any excessive white smoke, or "sweet" exhaust scent.

I wouldn't think so. I don't know what boost level you are seeing but with a full exhaust, which I understand you to mean not the stock one" you should be fine. My completely stock '92 used to run between 200 and 220 all the time and it never gave me any problems. The engine can handle it.

fwiw - I used to find that the car always seemed to run better once it hit 180°. The 160° thermostat never made me comfortable.

Ira

Just like what Ira said 200-220 is fine. My 92 runs at 210 all day long. I never had a problem with it. I am using a 180 thermostat. I was never a big fan of 160 thermostats.

I wouldn't think so. I don't know what boost level you are seeing but with a full exhaust, which I understand you to mean not the stock one" you should be fine. My completely stock '92 used to run between 200 and 220 all the time and it never gave me any problems. The engine can handle it.

fwiw - I used to find that the car always seemed to run better once it hit 180°. The 160° thermostat never made me comfortable.

Ira

The exhaust system is manifold back. The manifolds are not ported, and I have the down tubes from SCP without cats, into a 1 in, 1 out 3" Single Chamber Flowmaster, then the stock exhaust piping from that back, with just tips. At WOT I'm lucky to see 14psi, and I mean lucky. On average, around 12 and 13psi. Had a post earlier in "performance" about that. I was at 15%OD, but I've since took off the 5%, and am back to 10%. I think I'm getting belt slip really bad. Or maybe it's not enough back pressure?

The exhaust system is manifold back. The manifolds are not ported, and I have the down tubes from SCP without cats, into a 1 in, 1 out 3" Single Chamber Flowmaster, then the stock exhaust piping from that back, with just tips. At WOT I'm lucky to see 14psi, and I mean lucky. On average, around 12 and 13psi. Had a post earlier in "performance" about that. I was at 15%OD, but I've since took off the 5%, and am back to 10%. I think I'm getting belt slip really bad. Or maybe it's not enough back pressure?

With an open exhaust and boost levels where they are you should be fine. As for the extra OD it isn't helping make boost or horsepower at this point. All it's doing really is creating more heat because you are still using the stock intercooler so there really isn't any point to using it.

Ira

Back