AC leak test (R12)

ThunderRat

Howdy,

I did search and found some helpful stuff but still have some questions.

The compressor doesn't come on so I figure it's low on R12.
To find the leak I'd have to inject dye, but the autostores only
have that dye in a small 135a container or in a plastic bottle.

How do I get the dye in there?
Should I replace the dryer and where is it?
What else should I replace?

Dont replace anything until you find the leak. The dealer can sell you just the dye. But you will need a can of R-12 to push it in with. Which is fine since you will need to recharge the system to find the leak anyway. I would convert it over to R134A. It really is the best way to go. R-134 is way cheaper, especially when you are trying to track a leak down. Most common leaks are from the Condenser, Evaporator, and Compressor snout seal. I replaced the entire system on my car when I bought it for under 600.00 and just added the new refrigerant oil and R134A....

Thanks.

I forgot to mention, that I can get a R12 recharge for free from someone who has it in a large container.
I don't want to convert to 134a yet.

So I still need to figure out, how to get the dye in there.
Perhaps using a small can of 134a with dye?
Will it hurt the system?
I'll vacuum it anyways after the leak has been fixed.

Cheers.

Do not mix the freon's. Dont do it! They make dye injectors. Nothing but a little canister that hooks inline with the low side of your A/C guages. So you will need to find someone with R-12 guages as well as a dye injector. That is becoming harder to find, by the day. I can tell you that I personally have only had R-134 guages for atleast 5-6 years. No one repairs the R12 systems anymore...

If you are servicing a R-12 system it is time to change over. Even R-22 is out of production now.

dye can be added in two ways commonly. either discharged system remove the schrader valve and pour the dye in. or we have a tool that looks like a caulking gun that connects to the service port and you press the dye into the system.

Do not add 134.

is your motor clean can you trace the lines with a flash light the leak most likely will have a build up of oil and gunk around where its leaking.

there are other ways to trace R12 a propane torch works but is kinda dangerous.

i agree on converting it to r134 even though you have free r12 i doubt there is a shop that will touch it even if you bring that in to them. they dont wana risk contaminating the remaining r12 that they have. And epa is only getting worse on R12 cars.

have you checked if pump is bad itself? find high pressure switch and jump it. if pump comes on then you have low pressure. if not then you have other issues.

but seriously your bet bet is to take it to a shop and have someone find the leak for you. you can repair it yourself but to do it right you will have to find the leak, which involves evacuating the system, pulling it into a vacuum and charging it with nitrogen then check for leaks.

once leak is found and corrected. the system will probably need a new dryer/filter assembly.

system pulled into a vacuum again for min of 30 min. tested again and then charged.

Back