Possible DIS

Douglas Walker

I have a small problem from time to time. Ill look at the tach and its reading 0? At first when it did it I figured it was a loose wire or something. But the last few times it seems when I see 0 the car will run like its on 3 cylinders, then the tach will come alive and it will run fine. Im guessing DIS but I dont have a spare one to see for sure. Anyone else agree or have other ideas.

Car runs fine and it usually happens when it gets up to operating temp. Its hit and miss when it happens. Other than that everything else in good condition.

thanks
Doug

I can't say for sure, but when I had that happen on my 90, and nothing else going wrong, it turned out to be a bad DIS module. I swapped parts with my 93 (which was in pieces at the time anyway) and it was the DIS module that caused it.

Could be the cam sensor as well, though my experience has been that when it's the cam sensor, other issues develop along with the tach dropping to zero. I.e. hard to start, or bucking, misfire.

I would say it's probably the ignition module, although perhaps cam sensor might be to blame. If you get a check engine light, read the codes. Watch out for "secondary ignition circuit failure" codes - they seem to point to the coil pack, but the ignition module is usually the cause.

I only have bucking and rough idle when the tach goes to 0. No hard starts no misfires.

I have a spare coil pack but you normally dont see those fail. Im leaning towards the DIS still. Im guessing the heat is what triggers it.

If heat is affecting it then remove dis and sand paper it and reapply some arctic silver paste and try that. Cheaper than spending a 100 bucks ona new dis if it works.

Back