map sensor line and other questions..

shin

so i just bought a 90 s/c with the 5spd... drove it home.. it was idling at 3k and the brakes were really hard and the abs light would come on when you would hit the brakes....this is my first ford.... and i am impressed on how quick the car was even not running in tip top shape... but i figured it was idling high because of a vacuum leak. so i tracked down as many hose i could see. and they all seemed to have a home... but i looked at the map sensor and there looks to be a spot for a line and the repair manual says that 89-90's had a map... and the vacuum diagram under the hood is useless and the one in the book it the same thing... so i was just wondering if anyone knows on were the map sensor would hook up to.. and yes i did check the iac... and it was within spec.. teh guy i bought it from was throwing parts at it it looks like since the iac and the tps looks brand new.. thanks...

it's a BAP sensor, baromeric abosulte pressure, So there is no vacuum line too it..

What did the car idle at with the IAC disconnected??

i didnt check what it idled at with it disconnected ... but when you first start it it stumbles for like 15 secs or so then shoots to 3k... are you sure its not a map... there is even a picture in my manual showing that a line goes to it..

Have you checked the voltage on the throttle position sensor----if its set wrong and telling the computer you have your foot on the gas---its going to try to adjust...it may be as simple as adjusting the TPS. or there are several places on the intercooler tubing that can also have vacuum leaks.....Dan

Own 2 Cars with these engines in it.. So yah, sure it's a BAP sensor..

You got to remember one thing, a lot of Manuals, even the Ford Shop manuals, Show you the wrong thing.. i have a 1991 Ford shop manual, and if you look at the 5.0L section hows you the wrong engine, and such..

Also a vacuum leak after the blower will cause the car to stumble if not die wouldn't it?? i know when my '91 SC had a vacuum leak at the IC, it wouldn't' Idle..

your right it is called bap sensor.. i looked it one book and it called it a map and one called it a bap but referred to the same part... but anyways... figured it out.. it was the iac.. even though it tested good and it was brand new... i figure it out by taking it off and looking it its position and then i plugged it back in and attempted to start the car and the thing didn't even move... so on a hunch i went and got another one and now the car idles good.. thanks for all the help guys

Back