Sounds like Marbles in my engine. Could be the END

SCYALTR

Hello Men,
I went out to take a cruz to the grocery store, and noticed a strange noise coming from the front of my car.
It sounds like I dropped a bag of marbles in the engine. At idle it sounds like I am not running on all 6 cylinders and there is quite a bit of power loss. Needless to say I did not make it to the store much less out of the parking lot.
Any ideas on what it may be?
I know it would be difficult to say since you are not here to hear the sound he he.
Thanks,
D Rainer
NRCLSC.bmp

Could be the bearings in the nose cone of the super charger are toast? Try pulling the S/C belt and see if it is easy to turn the shaft and if you still hear the "marbles" when you run the engine...

sometimes when the cats go bad they can shatter inside and sound like marlbes rattling aroung--happened 2 me a couple of times g/l

Ok more info

Hello Boyz,
Thanks for the help here. I have more info. I can sit and idle and do not get the sound. It seems to come when I get on the gas a bit. The sound is not coming from the SC. It does sound like I dropped a wrench in there and it is just being thrown around. It seems to be coming from the lower end of the engine. The idea about the cats sounds like something I will look in to tomorrow.
If the cats are clogged or broken I would get bogging or loss of power right?
Thanks again,
D Rainer

NRCLSC.bmp

Last edited:
what part?

what part of northern cali are you in? i am in berkeley. perhaps 2 heads are better than one. also, is the MIL light on?? lemme know.

thanks
aaron

that sound is NFG. If you say it happens only when your on the gas a bit, and not at idle.....i would suspect bottom end crapping out. My old motor made a similar noise, more of a rattle than a bag of marbles though.

All the best....

-Mike

It could be your cats on my car one cat is bad and at times it will make noise as well it could be one of the heat sheld has come lose and will make a hell of a noise when your on the gas even just a little

bag of marbles is too specific, to me it sounds like knock, it could be caused by pretty much anything. Before you rip your cats or anything else, check the codes to see if its pulling timing or running lean for any reason. You may have to take it in to a shop to have a KOER test done, 50 bones is pretty steep, but I've seen people go broke on time and money "trying" stuff out.

Tickler said:
bag of marbles is too specific, to me it sounds like knock, it could be caused by pretty much anything. Before you rip your cats or anything else, check the codes to see if its pulling timing or running lean for any reason. You may have to take it in to a shop to have a KOER test done, 50 bones is pretty steep, but I've seen people go broke on time and money "trying" stuff out.

Dude, not tyring to p*ss you off but this is an old thread..........

He He

Hello,
Thanks for the words of advice.
It was the Cats and I just hacked them off and have had straight pipes since.
I had almost forgot about this thread he he.
Thanks,
D Rainer

I know that sound - I had some bad detonation years back in my '93 and after checking the WOT fuel pressure, I simply changed the fuel filter and all was well. I got some help diagnosing it from Lee Major at C&L. He had me put a fuel pressure gauge (with hose extension) on the schraeder valve on the fuel rail and ,then tie it to my wiper blade - so I could monitor the pressure while driving. At WOT it sounded like a bunch of marbles in my headers and the fuel pressure pegged out at about 52psi instead of around 60psi (if I recall correctly). Anyways changing the filter is only a $10 job and hopefully you'll get lucky.

Back