Stand-alone EFI

Scott Long

Anyone running a stand alone EFI system on their car? I am back again toying with ideas. My car wouldn't run and i've changed out EEC, IRCM, ingnition switch, etc.. All electronics in the car work, it cranks and cranks and cranks. No spark or fuel pump. Check all relays, hotwired pump. Now I have fuel, but no spark (and not sure if injectors are pulsing).

I'm tempted to yank the motor and tranny and sell/give the roller to a friend who wants to put a carbed V8 in it, or maybe put a cheap stand alone system in it and get it running again.

I don't want to spend a ton of money, so I was thinking megasquirt. Any ideas? Or anyone have a complete wiring harness for cheap that I can use to replace mine from the dash to the engine?

If its a mechanical issue you are having with the car, how would a $1000 (could be way more if you have to hire a tuner to set it up for you) aftermarket EFI system fix the problem?

Have your tried the DIS, and the coil pack and the crank sensor etc? How about grounding straps to the motor etc?

Fraser

96 XR7 With a forged 4.6 and Vortech at 13 psi running MS2 PCB3.57...

I would fix what was wrong first... Troubleshooting is a pain when the motor might not be capable of running in the first place.

It'll be a lot of work. If you understand wiring, it's not hard.

Expect to spend $800 if you don't screw anything up. This includes EDIS from a 94/95, Megasquirt, and a LC-1 Wideband. $1000 if you want a nifty little tuning laptop too.

If you have a 94/95 auto, don't waste your time.

If you have a earlier year, expect to swap the timing cover and all associated parts to get the later model 36-1 trigger wheel and pickup.

Coil pack is new, cam and crank sensors and DIS only a few months old when the car died.

have you got a book and checked the wiring..

something is dead. some wire aint getting powered. something aint right. you can always wire around it/repair the wiring.(well most the time:rolleyes:)

im not sure how far you dug into working on it. but i would get a good FORD service manual that list all the wiring in it. sit down and look over it well and go out and start poking the harness. wiring is a pain but if you can read a diagram no reason it cant be figured out;)

just make sure you have a good multimeter

then if you cant find anything something is broken. ircm,dis,ecu. something.

all depends how far you wanna dig to figure it out.

the injectors are controlled by the cam sensor. the spark is controlled by the crank sensor. If you're getting neither, then check for a bad ground, or a main power supply. actually most times, if the fuel pump doesn't kick on with the key on then nothing else will work either. something in the ignition switch circuit is screwing up.. i'll check the diagrams and see if I can find anything.

also check there is a ground on the core support that broke on my sc that didnt let the fuel pump run. had me looking for hours to figure it out.

right near the battery. has a plug in the middle of it that can be unhooked.

Car is in a storage unit right now. Trying to get it moved to a friend of a friends barn (guy just bought a house with property, so i might be able to move the SC there and work on it). I'll tinker with it a bit more before giving up.

the injectors are controlled by the cam sensor. the spark is controlled by the crank sensor. If you're getting neither, then check for a bad ground, or a main power supply. actually most times, if the fuel pump doesn't kick on with the key on then nothing else will work either. something in the ignition switch circuit is screwing up.. i'll check the diagrams and see if I can find anything.

The cam sensor notifies the EEC when cylinder 1 is up for fire, but actual spark and injector timing comes from the crank sensor... hence why these cars will run without a cam sensor, but not a failed crank sensor.

Fraser

Have you changed the ignition switch? Those can cause all sorts of wierd problems when they go screwy.

MSII is $250 if you can solder it together.
You wont need a cam sensor anymore, MAF goes away too.

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm

Also you can go to a junkyard for edis stuff off a 4L V6 for real cheap.
Once I get a 36-1 wheel on the stock balancer I will be posting it here.
/.02

paul

Pablo, yes I've changed the ignition switch. Casey helped me do that during the 08 Shootout. Car died at the 07 shootout and hasn't ran since. I want to have an SC for this years shootout. I need a bigger garage. The house I have now although 2 stories and 3 bedrooms only has a 1 car garage and the S4 sits in there. By the way, I'd sell the S4 in a heartbeat if the money was right.

Back