Hi torq starters?

Nate_V6

Anyone here run hi torq starters? and where is a good place to get them? I live in ontario so we have canadian tire, benson, napa, carquest....etc

Well, the SC starter is actually a high torque starter to begin with. Being we don't have high compression or large displacement, there just isn't a market for it. I do agree though, that reliability of the starting system in these cars is a little suspect.

I'm using a Power Master for a small block. I can't remember the tooth count but it made sure that it matched flywheel.

The only issues I have with it is that its a real bear to remove/install and it has to mounted upside down compared to the stock starter.

WHats funny I been using the ford high torque starters in my small blocks without ever an issue..But my SC....I changed mine..Only to have the same issue a month later!..Lil things about these cars that drive me crazy

My car is barely rolling over, new valve train is killing it. It has 300lb springs on it. Also for break in we have 15w40 in that was -1 temp, and there is no assembly lube......it was out so long it went bone dry, PLUS my battery is only good for 550 cranking but I don't think it's the battery because I put in my 5.0 explorer battery and it turned over just as slow. It's turning over too slow to fire and with no assembly lube and no compression (like 30 with no lube) it turns so dam slow. Can't turn it by hand either lol. Wonder if it's just my starter or the cylinders just all need lube?

Why didn't you prime the oiling system before starting? Being dry like that and starting could casue some damage.

No, were trying to fire it, we are just priming the oil pump, but the starter can just barely roll it and drains the battery (or any battery) super quick. It really sucks. Can a starter just start crapping out and not working?

Well were gonna try firing it tomorrow. Hopefully if it just catches then it will fire. If it only needs a starter then ok. If not I'm scraping the project.

I had an original starter rebuilt. night and day difference. A new starter for the SC should have no problem turning it around.

No, were trying to fire it, we are just priming the oil pump, but the starter can just barely roll it and drains the battery (or any battery) super quick. It really sucks. Can a starter just start crapping out and not working?

nope not the starter, you said you can barely turn the motor over by hand in another post. so you have a mechanical problem with the motor if its that hard to turn.

how long has motor been sitting before being started?

usually if there is surface rust on the cyl walls (light stuff that just caused it to turn color, not pitted all up) that is gone once the motor moves over a few revolutions. I had a 5.0 stop turning while building it and that was do to a problem with the thrust bearing on the crank. I could almost not turn that motor over by hand with a 36 inch breaker bar, corrected that thrust bearing problem and it spun over very freely (considering its a built up 5.0) on the stand.

when you primed the oil system did you check up in the valve train to see if you have oil up there. the system should be primed till you have oil out of all push rods. 15w40 at 30 deg will not cause a motor to not turn that hard by hand or starter.

you starting system may have a problem but if thats the case then the motor should move easily by hand and not the starter, you have both so that kinda rules out the starter (UNLESS THE STARTER IS JAMMED AGAINST THE FLYWHEEL AND ABOUT TO LOCK UP ON YOU)....

Well 'm going to try and spray some krown it it and let it creep in the cylinder walls and see if that helps. Also my friend built a 5.0 which he couldn't turn by hand either, but once it fired it worked the kinks out I guess and was fine after. He now has 330k on it and it's 100hp over stock.

See what happens tonight I guess. If it's something internal it's being parted out, I'm done screwing around with it. If I sink anymore money into it I'm going to be very upset lol

Yep it's all ok. Battery just sucked I guess. Started right up, making 80psi oil pressure @ idle and hit 18 psi in neutral lol. She's going to run good.

Yes, been busy with college all winter, hopefully be getting on the dyno in a couple weeks to tune WOT and then off to the drag when its open. Not putting in a converter or suspension, just going to use slicks and see my mph and see how good it is.

Yes, been busy with college all winter, hopefully be getting on the dyno in a couple weeks to tune WOT and then off to the drag when its open. Not putting in a converter or suspension, just going to use slicks and see my mph and see how good it is.

What are Jay's performance predictions for the motor ?

David

No Idea. Guess we will see when it hit's the track and gives me a good mph. He did say to use a stall as high as I can tolerate but I'm not sinking anymore money into it. I'm just gonna drive it.

Back