Engine install FAIL.

ricardoa1

So I took the advise from some of you with the engine install and it was an epic fail. I was advised to install the engine and transmission in one piece and to button up the diff, fuel tank and driveshaft. Well that does not work too well :( I fought and fought the assymbly and to no avail. The Yoke does not slip into the trans at that angle, But if I change the angle of the trans starts to hit the tunnel and the pan does not clear the K-member. I spent a good two hours changing angles and trying to make it work. I finnaly gave up and took it out.....
The shaft needs to come out no matter what.

Im not sure if i understand what your saying exactly, but it sounds likeeeeee you would just have to drop the diff down and slide the driveshaf back and over the top of it.. then you can just slide it back in as if you were swapping trans

On a 5spd no way. I would never advise you to try to install them together so it wasn't me you asked. :p Put the tranny in first then the motor. It's a little bit of a cuss to get the motor in past the mounts, but I do it by myself all the time. Just be patient and don't force anything. Also make sure you can get under the car while you are doing this because you'll have to check your progress from underneath occasionally.

I'll get you those tune files tomorrow so you can work on your AC thing.

I did it with the motor and tranny together and it was stupid easy. You need to have the driveshaft out though. Also, I left the motor mounts in and unbolted the brackets from the block that way I could just slide the motor around freely then bolt it up after everything is lined up.

You also need a trans-dapt so you can change the angle of the motor/tranny while putting it in place. I wouldn't do it any other way.

It's only "stupid easy" if you have the right tools to do it. I didn't mean to degrade anybody's intellect by saying that. If someone was to do it by just using a chain, then they would have to be high to think that would work simply with the tranny/motor bolted together.

I know how silly it is to get the splines and the pilot of the input shaft lined up whenever putting the tranny in the car separately. That's why I have always recommended having them bolted together first.

People have their own ways, though. Do work, SON!!

theavy-duty-load-leveler2350-.jpg

Your BEST friend, right here!! ^^^^

Im with dave...I have a 5-speed and done it a bunch of time (sadly)...tranny first, then engine...nice and easy...I advise 3 people on it (one under car, one on engine, and one on picker)

no need to mess with shaft and diff and all that.

I didn't mean to degrade anybody's intellect by saying that.
No offense taken (hence the smiley). In my work I rarely take both engine and trans out at the same time so to me it is only natural that you don't try to do both together. It's a bit of a trick to get the pilot engaged with the mounts attached to the motor but I routinely do it. Never tried putting the mounts on after, but that would probably make the job of lining up the splines 300% easier.

Sorry you had trouble Ricardo. It is pretty simple but I guess I thought it was self evident that you gotta install the drive-shaft separately. I don't think it is hard to do it with the trans in either. I pulled mine with the trans as I had planned to rebuild the trans, but didn't. 2 months after the car was running, I had to get another trans. That'll teach me.

This was coming out, 5 speed attached. no special tool

Going back in I had the compensator to make it a little easier.
enginein.jpg

Tight no doubt.
enginefit.jpg

It will go in without the driveshaft. But to get the driveshaft out I have now drop the tank or the diff. Which is why I asked a bit ago what I continue putting together before the engine.. At this point I think the esiest thing is to take the trans apart and install first then the engine. I dont want to mess with the rear end or the tank anymore. I felt defeated yesterday.

I still dont know how to adjust the darn rocker arms I feel like I have busted lifters or something I get different results from each lifter.

I still dont know how to adjust the darn rocker arms I feel like I have busted lifters or something I get different results from each lifter.

You should have brought the heads and had me install them. But then again, the whole engine probably wouldn't fit in your trunk either. :D

You don't have busted lifters. You'll have to figure out the point of zero lash on each one as others have said, then just add 1/2 to 1 turn. It's not rocket science, I think people make it too difficult.

It might work if you un-did the Yoke from the driveshaft at the U joint. Ive done that before to install an engine / tranny combo but it was an auto, not a 5 speed .. wasnt very fun either. Or maybe I just left the yoke in the trans so it wouldnt spill when I took it out of the car. Its been a while.

- Dan

Last edited:
I've done what you are trying to do with a automatic transmission and it can be done. With one person it is a little aggravating though. I think I had read at one time that you can un-bolt the driveshaft from the diff flange and that there is enougn room to slide the driveshaft back over the top of the differential. I heard it was tight but it was possible. I've never done it so I can't say with 100% certainty.

Mark

I've done what you are trying to do with a automatic transmission and it can be done. With one person it is a little aggravating though. I think I had read at one time that you can un-bolt the driveshaft from the diff flange and that there is enougn room to slide the driveshaft back over the top of the differential. I heard it was tight but it was possible. I've never done it so I can't say with 100% certainty.

Mark

Yes you can lower the diff and slide the driveshaft over the top, but it will require removing the rear portion of the exhaust. I've also heard of some guys taking the u-joint apart at the front yoke.

David

Yes you can lower the diff and slide the driveshaft over the top, but it will require removing the rear portion of the exhaust. I've also heard of some guys taking the u-joint apart at the front yoke.

David

I've done the u joint removal. As long as they ain't to rusty thats a fairly easy way. Helps to have the rear tires off the ground so you can spin the shaft.

Back