Resonator; Stock, Aftermarket, or Straight Pipe?

TheAWK

So i am doing my exhaust on my project car of a 1990 3.8 SC car.

Earlier I posted a thread about headers and was reccommended to focus on resonator first.

Now upon talking to industry professionals, they have suggested that even better than an aftermarket resonator was just to straight pipe it through. I know this will change the sound of the car, but are there any other effects?

Thanks Guys

AWK/TheAWK

Put a resonator in, you will hate the way it sounds and the loudness with just straight pipe going thru it.

"Industry professionals" typically know nothing about theses cars....W/O a resonator they sound awful.....very ricey.

I don't mind..

What is your set up if you don't mind?

Cleaned up exhaust bowls in head a lot

Laid bumps in stock ex fold back, slightly altered/smoothed transition from head to manifold

Ported collector area to 2+"

Made 2.25" down-pipes with immediate transition to 2.5" pipe

Welded 2.5" pipe to each end of stock cats

2x2.5" out of cats into 3" mandrel mid-pipe resonators are for wussies

mid-pipe welded to correctly fit stock split into stock mufflers

Its quiet til you goose-it.
Has a sound all its own, not annoying.
Has a rasp past 3/4 throttle, but I am in ticket territory long before I push the pedal that far.
No tune yet, but I gained around 40hp with all mods I bet. It'll be closer to 70 HP over stock after the tune.
With 14%OD on blower and this exhaust I am making 12psi nominally. Past 4k floored its closer to 15psi takes a bit to get up there. I am glad I went with +14% instead of +10%.

paul

im still debating which way to go.

i had cut the resonator out on my parts car and ran it and it sounded fine the way it was.

so other than the sound the resonator is useless?

just want to clarify

with a full stock exhaust it wont be all that bad..However if you are looking for cheap and a ll quieter just get a bullet type glasspack in there

Funny, I get nothing but compliments on the way mine sounds...

Yeah, mine sounds pretty mean too, everyone asks what kind of mods I have done to the 5.0 that is in it. I tell them knocked off two cylinders and put a blower on it LOL.

I have shorty headers and then just straight pipe all the way back to the factory mufflers and I think it sounds NICE!

Made 2.25" down-pipes with immediate transition to 2.5" pipe

Welded 2.5" pipe to each end of stock cats

2x2.5" out of cats into 3" mandrel mid-pipe resonators are for wussies

mid-pipe welded to correctly fit stock split into stock mufflers

I would like to add I have found-out that using any straight-thru muffler or higher flow muffler with no resonator will be loud. Too loud for most driving, especially with windows open.
I got a rattle in one of the stock mufflers and decided to replace with a knock-off 3" ID muffler.
The car blows-away fart can folks in the noise department now!
Am getting a 3" straight-thru resonator and will post results.
Having the stock mufflers with an otherwise open exhaust system is still plenty quiet without a resonator.
I think there really isn't a performance gain with moving to one larger muffler, and I only did it because stock ones were coming apart inside.
I may go back to 2 quiet mufflers if its still too loud.

i would run a good ported manifold or headers and if you are using the cats ditch the stock cats they are probably gone by now. get some good spun metal cats from magna flow. then go to a dual in dual out magnaflow resonator/muffler that contains a x pipe.

after that I would just run some nice mandrel bent 2.5 inch pipes out the back and have them turn down to the corners. thats it. it sounds great, not loud in car at all and nice and deep outside the car. doesnt sound like a econo/~~~~ car either (honda, ect)

i would run a good ported manifold or headers and if you are using the cats ditch the stock cats they are probably gone by now. get some good spun metal cats from magna flow. then go to a dual in dual out magnaflow resonator/muffler that contains a x pipe.

after that I would just run some nice mandrel bent 2.5 inch pipes out the back and have them turn down to the corners. thats it. it sounds great, not loud in car at all and nice and deep outside the car. doesnt sound like a econo/~~~~ car either (honda, ect)

hmmmm..... [rubbing chin]

Back