ignition issues-no spark

smokin86

okay i have an 89 sc 5-speed.my brother owned it a year or two before the head gaskets blew. it sat in the shop about 12-18 months before he sold it to me. i just rebuilt it (bored .020 over, speed pro pistons and rings, king bearings, fel pro gaskets, arp studs, bjh balancer) but can't get it started.:mad:
i have a brand new cam sensor, crank sensor, coil pack, and ignition module. i have power to all of these (via the red/light green wire) but don't have any spark. the upshift light stays on while cranking...and i think thats all i know.:rolleyes:

thanks in advance

sorry dave, i figured i had bothered you enough,i better start a thread before i get beat up.:eek:
did some looking tonight, found some weird stuff. the r/lg wire is positive when the key is on, but is grounded when the key is off. the three signal grounds to the coil are grounded when the key is off, but have nothing when the key is on or when cranking. please help or i'll own a thousand dollar boat anchor.:eek:

Are you sure you have the BHJ balancer on all the way....

They have a tight fit and it might not be on far enough for the reluctor ring to pass through the crank sensor....

update

it is in a sc. dave, you're good-it wasa wiring problem. i came home last night from school and my brother was out in the shop working on it. he was tired of me being confused so he did a bunch of research so he could be confused too.:)

we were sitting there racking our brains when i saw the short wiring harness laying there, the one that goes from cam sensor to crank sensor to coil to module... i asked him where it came from, and he told me he took it off of my spare motor. i thought, "well i got nothing to lose." about five minutes later after i swapped it with the original, i almost filled my pants when the stupid thing fired for the first time in three weeks of trying.

it ran a little crappy on old fuel, but it was a lovely sound- my first engine rebuild worked! i now owe my brother a few favors. never did find out what was wrong with the old harness...

Back