Crank/Cam Sensor problem?

raideron

Hi,
I have a 90 SC with 130,000. I believe at 80-100thousand I changed the crank sensor due to the engine just shutting down.. IIRC.
I was just wondering if my existing problem could be with the crank/cam sensor? My SC will be running along just fine, then all of a sudden she starts to jerk, like turning the key on/off. While it is doing this the tach will drop to zero and back up. This has happened twice, then all of a sudden it just starts running fine again. Today when it happened, car jerking, tach jumping up/down, I floored it and she took off and ran fine while floored, I can't remember what the tack did, but I thought it stayed at zero, I let off and the jerking returned, I floored it again from say 35 up to 100mph, then she ran fine to work and back home.

Anyone know what may be happening??

I checked on prices, I can get a cam sensor(LX228) for $33.98 and the crank(PC15) for $75.43.. If one of these are my problem, could I find better deals?

Thanks for any info..

Ron

Yes

Yes, it COULD be your cam sensor. Had bucking issues in my '90 (all stock). Noticed tach would drop when happening. Searched here, found several threads referring to tach issues when cam sensor went out. Replaced cam sensor, problem solved. Many people will point to plugs/wires but if you're not getting it at WOT then I don't believe that's the prob. Also I knew it couldn't be my problem 'casue I had just had them done, thinking that was the problem. They're MOST likely to dislay shorting/ missing when amps are up. Also tach isn't affetced by bad plugs/wires. Cam sensor will even act up when you're just cruising along with no load. It's a magnetic device so becomes intermittent before complete failure.

Thanks for the reply :)

I was beginning to think that I was not going to get any replies...

I think this problem has been on going???? Within the last 6-7months, I have changed out the coil pack, module, wires and plugs, resealed SC. 25000 miles ago I changed out the crank sensor. Just lately it has started cutting out as stated, previously it just seemed like I felt like the power quit, but after turning the stereo down all was running normal and never could pin point it. I'm close to stopping the witch hunt, but since the cam sensor has not been changed, I guess I'm willing to spend another $30 on a Standard brand sensor and give it a try..
My stock 90 35th Anniversary SC has been Great to me for the last 135,000 miles since buying it new, but it's starting to nickle and dime(big nickles and dimes) me to death and the market has not been nice to me :(

Thanks for your info/reply

Ron

Last edited:
my fuel pump acted up for a year , a lot of times it would run fine for 2 hours till you would go to stop then i would buck or stall then restart , after a year of fooling around i put a fuel pump and it was fixed

Back